VMware Cloud Community
shaheed_a_m
Contributor
Contributor

unresponsive host

Hi

Since i upgraded to VMWare esxi6 and vCenter 6 i have the following issue:

The host shows as greyed out and is not responding.

All the vm's on that host are also greyed out and show disconnected.

i can connect to the host directly by is unresponsive.

If i reboot the host it reconnects fine and everything works.  this has happened on 2 hosts so far.  one was a hp and the other was an intel.

Any help or input will really be appreciated.

Thanks

26 Replies
bansne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you try to connect ESXi using VI Client directly?is it working?

1) I would suggest to try starting managment agent and see if it works.

2) The very moment you try connecting ESXi to vCenter sevrer , have vCenter Server logs been open to analyse the logs and identify the cause of problem.

0 Kudos
rseabrooke
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In my case you couldn`t try it even when accessing it through the console. The host appears to be locked up.

I have not seen this issue before and I have been working with Vmware since version 3.

0 Kudos
bansne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Neither i had came across such problem.

In ESXi, there are several menu options provided to test the management network. If the ESX host responds to user interaction, but does not respond to pings, you may have a networking issue.

As stated by you that you are not even able to access the console. Can you check what the Enclosure says about the state of host? What i suspect is the hardware might be incompatible with version 6 or vice versa.

try rollback the settings and check if the blade respond well. If yes, then suggest you to first update hardware firmware/bios version and then install ESXi 6.x

0 Kudos
bansne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Neither i had came across such problem.

In ESXi, there are several menu options provided to test the management network. If the ESX host responds to user interaction, but does not respond to pings, you may have a networking issue.

As stated by you that you are not even able to access the console. Can you check what the Enclosure says about the state of host? What i suspect is the hardware might be incompatible with version 6 or vice versa.

try rollback the settings and check if the blade respond well. If yes, then suggest you to first update hardware firmware/bios version and then install ESXi 6.x

rseabrooke
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESXi 6.0 network connectivity is lost with NETDEV WATCHDOG timeouts in the vmkernel.log (2124669)

0 Kudos