VMware Cloud Community
NucleusVM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

unfortunately we hit an error that we weren't expecting

on the esxi web interface, when clicking "edit settings" on a guest, I get the following error.

2018-07-22 08_16_23-esxi - VMware ESXi.png

2018-07-22 08_10_33-esxi - VMware ESXi.png

When I click on the "Details" button I get this.

2018-07-22 08_19_17-esxi - VMware ESXi.png

This is the esxi version I'm using

2018-07-22 08_14_53-esxi - VMware ESXi.png

And I'm using the latest Chrome

2018-07-22 08_18_02-Settings.png

Any way to fix this?

Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

From the screenshots, it looks you are using ESXi host client version 1.25.

Try updating to the latest (currently version 1.29), it might be a problem that is resolved in subsequent releases.

https://labs.vmware.com/flings/esxi-embedded-host-client

0 Kudos
NucleusVM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I did this

esxcli software vib update -v http://download3.vmware.com/software/vmw-tools/esxui/esxui-signed-8122819.vib

the installation was successful, I restarted the ESXi, but the problem remains. And now, I don't even have the option to view the details of the error.

2018-07-22 11_13_47-esxi - VMware ESXi.png

0 Kudos
NucleusVM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just discovered that this is an issue with the specific guest (not that it justifies the error), so I'll just rebuild the machine from template.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Did you already delete the VM, or is it possible to attach the VM's configuration (.vmx) file to a reply post, to find out whether it is related to some specific entry.

André

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

The original error

Cause: TypeError: Cannot read property 'vbsSupported' of undefined

If I were to have a guess, it possibly related to support of the Virtualization Base Security (VBS) feature which is available on virtual hardware version 14.

It would seem that the ESXi host client failed to find that property in the VM.

0 Kudos
ankurgoyal01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I looked at the required answers shared, however can you advice if we tried connecting on a different Browser, may be Firefox.

I faced the same issue and after updating the vib i tried connecting on Firefox which fixed the issue.

Regards

Ankur Goyal

0 Kudos
SupreetK
Commander
Commander

From the below link, we can see on the bugs tab that many 'Cannot read property....' issues were fixed in the recent version of the client. bluefirestorm​ hunch was bang on!

ESXi Embedded Host Client - Bugs

Cheers,

Supreet

0 Kudos