VMware Cloud Community
mailrd
Contributor
Contributor

unable to remove dead path for non existing Lun

Hi group, I have a dead path to a Lun that used to exist but has been completely removed from the server and SAN.  When I do a rescan in vSphere client it still shows up as an available Lun and my vmkwarning logfile is expanding exponentially because of it's presence. The Lun in question is part of a 3 server shared group on the SAN, 2 hosts removed it with no problems but the last host I can't seem to get rid of it. I've even tried masking it but to no avail. When I issue the "esxcfg-rescan vmhba2" command I get:

Device is in use by worlds:
   World    # of Handles Name
    4096               1 console

and can't figure out what or where this "world" is. It's not a VM and from the output you would assume it had something to do with the COS. Does anybody have any insight (other than a reboot) as to how to get rid of this Lun?

Excerpt from vmkwaring file:

Jul 15 13:46:54 vmwvi5 vmkernel: 158:23:21:46.842 cpu4:4232)WARNING: NMP: nmpDeviceAttemptFailover: Retry world failover device "naa.60060160fc701e00983cbd83f01ede11" - failed to issue command due to Not found (APD), try again...

ESX, 4.1.0,260247

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
virtualdutch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Read this post http://communities.vmware.com/message/1755645?tstart=0

I've had the same issue and rebooted the ESXi hosts, after rebooting the dead link to the VMFS datastore are gone.

0 Kudos