VMware Cloud Community
VMVI
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

unable to migrate vm from esxi5.5 host to esxi6.0 host

I have a vCenter version is 6.0, a EVC enable cluster is created with two hosts and the details as below:-

host 1 is Power edge M620 with Processor type CPU E5-26600@2.20GHz installed with ESXi6.0, connected to ESX6-VDS switch(distributed switch) and

host 2 is UCS B200-M3 with processor type CPU E5-26800@2.70GHz, running on ESXi5.5 hooked up to ESX5-VSS(standard switch).

I have VM residing on host 2 connected to VM portgroup on VSS (ESX5-VSS)

I enabled the EVC mode with "Intel® "Sandy Bridge" Generation".

Goal:- is to migrate live VM from host 2(esxi5.5) to host 1.(esxi6.0), including vm network migrating from VSS to VDS with out taking downtime

Issue:-

option1:- While migrating the VM, from host 2 to host 1, i choose "change compute resource only"--> in the Hosts section, i didn't see the host 1 information, just host 2 is displayed (screen shot:- img1).

option2:- If i choose the change both compute resource and storage-->select compute resource first and select the host1, in the compatibility section, "compatibility checks succeeded". but when i choose the source network from VSS to destination network VDS

I am getting error "Changing the network and host of a virtual machine during vMotion is not supported on the "source" host "host2".(screen shot:- img2).

Any steps towards problem resolving will be appreciate. Thank you in-advance for your time and support.

Tags (2)
2 Replies
bspagna89
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

I think this is because you're doing a vmotion between a host on VSS and one on VDS but i cannot test this to confirm at the moment. What version is the VDS? if it's still 5.5, can you try adding an uplink from host2 onto that VDS? You just need one uplink.. Make sure it has the correct Network settings/vlans trunked for the VDS.

To correct this I think you would need to do the following :

1. add an uplink from host 2 onto the VDS

2. Change the VM portgroup (BEFORE vmotioning) to the portgroup with the same VLAN on the VDS. Now the VM lives on the VDS.

3. Migrate the VM - if you need to change the portgroup, you can do so now that the VM lives on the same VDS.

Let me know.

-Brian

New blog - https://virtualizeme.org/
VMVI
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Thank you for the reply. in my case, the VDS version is 5.5, even the same error for VDS version 6.0.

I hope from vCenter 6 onwards we can migrate from VSS to VDS or VDS to VDS, VSS to VSS.. etc.

Even i tired to migrate from VSS on ESXi5.5 host to VSS on ESXi6.0 host  under vCenter 6.0, i am seeing same error...

If the above statement is correct, then i think, i donot need an uplink from host 2 to VDS. Please correct me, if i am wrong.

0 Kudos