VMware Cloud Community
JoeAKim
Contributor
Contributor

unable to connect to the mks there is no vmware process running for config file

Hi there!

I cloned several VMs. But one of them didn't clone. I wasn't able to do it again, since it told me, that there's already an other task running.

So I shut it down within the VM itself.

The OS shut down, but the VM still stays powered on, and I can't do anything about it. I can't switch it off, I can't rename it, I can't clone it, I can't switch it back on... nothing.

When I open the console, it says: "Unable to connect to the mks: There is no vmware process running for config file..."

Can anybody help me? If possible without rebooting the ESXi server.

Regards,

Joachim.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JoeAKim
Contributor
Contributor

I found out more.

The VMs state is still at "taking snapshot": but even before the progress bar would appear. In the snapshot manager, I can already see the snapshot, but I can't delete it, or do anything else.

0 Kudos
ShanVMLand
Expert
Expert

VM disk size must be bigger. That would be one reason it is taking long time. You should wait now rather than trying to kill the process.

Shan

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
JoeAKim
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the answer, but no. the VM has 22 GB + 2 GB RAM. The Datastore has still 60 GB free, and is not overcomitted.

0 Kudos
vm-au-user
Contributor
Contributor

I've also received this error on VM. Is there a KB or process to fix this issue?

0 Kudos
danm66
Expert
Expert

Probably will need to restart management on the host to get things back. You may see the VM show as orphaned after you get re-connected. if so, remove from inventory then re-add by using datastore browser (right-click on .vmx file and select 'Add to Inventory'.

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003490

0 Kudos
vm-au-user
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, that Worked. On the ESXi Console I choose the option to restart the management agents. System disconnected for a quick second and reconneted. The virtual machine that was having the issue was powered off and I was able to power it back on..

0 Kudos