VMware Cloud Community
Gizmo89
Contributor
Contributor

unable to connect to my ESXi 4.0 host with vSphere client

Hi All,

I'm pretty new to the world of virtulisation so apologies if I say anything that seems simple or silly!

As the title suggest I can't use the vsphere client to connect to my host, from my laptop with vSphere client on i can ping the host but the client reports that it can not connect to the remote server.

I'm running a simple home network so the everything hangs together through my router and theres no domain or set workgroup setup.

The ESXi host does have a static IP

has anyone got any ideas or have I forgot to set something up.

Thanks

Gizmo89

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the communities.

Make sure your fixed address not already being used. Double check addressing, gateway etc.

Forum Upgrade Notice - the VMware Communities forums will be upgraded the weekend of December 12th. The forum will be in read-only mode from Friday, December 10th 6 PM PST until Sunday, December 12th 2 AM PST.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
Gizmo89
Contributor
Contributor

I've just double checked but it is the only device with that IP (i've made a reservation on the router too to confirm no future conflicts)

Can you confirm which user name and password I need to but into the client (i've tried botht the ESXi root one and also my laptop's one for the local admin)

Thanks for you fast reponse

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Do you see any errors when running "Test Management Network" on the DCUI (yellow and gray screen)?

Can you browse to the ESXi host in your web browser?

To logon into ESXi you need the root account.

André

0 Kudos
Gizmo89
Contributor
Contributor

On the test management network if it pings it's self no problem but it can't ping my laptop ( I've also checked the firewalls are disabled on my laptop)

From the web browser i'm not getting anything page fails to open - can you use the browser to look at ESXi hosts? ( what should this show you?)

root user and password didn't make a difference but by the message it's not seeing the host to validate

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

On the test management network if it pings it's self no problem but it can't ping my laptop ( I've also checked the firewalls are disabled on my laptop)

Are you able you ping your router/gateway from the host?

From the web browser i'm not getting anything page fails to open - can you use the browser to look at ESXi hosts? ( what should this show you?)

It should show the ESXi web page from where you e.g. can download the vSphere Client.

root user and password didn't make a difference but by the message it's not seeing the host to validate

Looks like you cannot reach the host and therefore any user will fail.

Try to set the ESXi host's management network to DHCP to see whether it gets an IP address from the router in this case.

André

0 Kudos
Gizmo89
Contributor
Contributor

I've just tried another router as the IP I got when using DHCP was just a local machine one so the router hadn't been talking.

With the new router i'm pleased to report that I can now connect!

Thanks for you help Smiley Happy

Gizmo89

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

You are welcome.

Happy virtualizing.

André

0 Kudos