VMware Cloud Community
Basara
Contributor
Contributor

unable to connect to MKS:Could not connect to pipe \\.\pipe\vmware-authdpipe the system cannot find the file specified.

I first download VM ESXi4.0 file VMware-VMvisor-Installer-4.0.0-171294.x86_64.iso and install on DELL PE2950 Box.

After finish creating VM and open VM console(through vSphere Client, as root user account), I see the same error message: unable to connect to MKS:Could not connect to pipe
.\pipe\vmware-authdpipe the system cannot find the file specified.

Then I upgrade to the latest: VMware-VMvisor-Installer-4.0.0.Update01-208167.x86_64.iso, and vSphere Client also upgade to the latest.

And still met this error message, and cannot install guest os on the VM.

12 Replies
Basara
Contributor
Contributor

And I notice that in VMware vCenter Agent is sopped, and I can't start it manually.

0 Kudos
sochry
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Once workaround is to launch the remote console manually. Just write a batch file.

C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\Virtual Infrastructure Client\4.0\vmware-vmrc.exe -h <ip> -M <moid >

You can determine the moid for a VM by looking at vmInventory.xml in /etc/vmware/hostd/ or %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\VMware\VMware Server\hostd as appropriate.

Specifying the credentials via the command line when referencing the moid will never work - fails with authentication error.

Launching the remote console speicifying the datastore path usually works and even allows specifying credentials. However, you sometimes get the "Unable to connect to MKS" error you are seeing on certain VMs.

In summary:

Works - "C:
Program Files (x86)
VMware
Infrastructure
Virtual Infrastructure Client
vmware-vmrc.exe" -h <ip> -M <moid>

Fails - "C:
Program Files (x86)
VMware
Infrastructure
vmware-vmrc.exe" -h <ip> -u <userid> -p <password> -M <moid>

Usually Works - "C:
Program Files (x86)
VMware
Infrastructure
vmware-vmrc.exe" -h <ip> -u <userid> -p <password> ["[datastore1]] test/test.vmx"

Socrates

0 Kudos
derickson
Contributor
Contributor

I have this same problem when I tring starting a vm that I just created on an ESXi 4.0 build 208167 machine. When I start the VM in vSphere I get this error message.

0 Kudos
AnalogKid99
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Did you ever find a solution?

In my own case - I get this error opening VM's, but from only one of my Windows

XP machines - I have two other machines that connect successfully

0 Kudos
derickson
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I just installed the vSphere software on a differant machine. It was not an issue with the server just the client software of workstation.

0 Kudos
AnalogKid99
Contributor
Contributor

OK - thanks

I have it working on two of my workstations - but cant get it working on my third.

I think I'm going to have to just use the Two machines that do work.

I appreciate your reply.

0 Kudos
MagyarKA
Contributor
Contributor

@AnalogKid99 Did you ever determine the issue with that one XP machine you had that was getting this message? I have a user who is running on XP that is getting the same thing while other users (also using XP) that are in the same groups are able to get in fine.

0 Kudos
raytracy
Contributor
Contributor

I have same issue, but it solved when I find a correct way to resolve the DNS name.

My ESXi host was added to vCenter with FQDN not IP address, but my newly installed PC did not point to the right DNS server and cannot resolve the FQDN of host.

Since other operations were worked fine via vCenter client, I did not know the FQDN issues until I got the MKS connection error as same as yours.

This problem has gone immediately after I fixed the DNS resolving.

0 Kudos
Sudarshan_Bhart
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Need to fix the DNS in this issue. Please make sure client is able to ping the ESXi host by its FQDN and IP Address.

In my case, all the ESXi Hosts registered with FQDN in vCenter and details updated in host file (sadly no DNS records for ESXi Hosts). So I just need to update the host file and it starts working for any problematic/new client.

0 Kudos
shug76
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Have you tried in the vSphere Webclient console under your host's Settings the following:

Go to > Hosts & Clusters > Select your Host (thats running your ESXi > on main screen select Manage tab > Settings > Advanced System Settings > look for the following setting 'Config.Defaults.security.host.ruissl' > right-click and set the Value to 'True'

This means the SSL required for remote communications to the VM is enabled over the usual host port of 902 (look for your configuration for ports as firewalls in companies own systems may vary).

This is a pointer for anyone having issues launching the Remote Console and getting the same error as the thread's question.

All the best,

SH.

ProDB
Contributor
Contributor

this problem occour when have a fail in dns resolution for esxi hosts, verify the dns resolution for your hosts servers, and then flush the dns cache from the station where the vsphere client is installed

0 Kudos
plastikman
Contributor
Contributor

This saved me.  Thanks!

0 Kudos