VMware Cloud Community
Shahzad-Ali
Contributor
Contributor

unable to activate 82599 10 Gigabit Dual Port in esxi host 7.0

Hi Team,

I have Dell PowerEdge R730 Machinne having ESXI host 7.0 installed on it. Recently i have installed 82599 10 Gigabit Dual Port in my ESXI host machine. Its showing disable under Manage > Hardward > PCI devices. i go to the configured SR-IOV and enable it and set the virtual function level 0 to 1. and then save the setting. Now its showing me Enabled/Need reboot i have reboot my esxi host many times but its not activting my PCI card. 

Cloud you pleas have me to resolve this issue?

i have also attahed screenshot with this.

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Ardaneh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I think your problem is related to some driver issues. SR-IOV is a feature and needs some specific driver to work, so I recommend it to try and update your driver. you can find the latest update from VMware VCG.

Hope this could be helpful

Cheers

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Shahzad-Ali
Contributor
Contributor

thank you Ardaneh for your reply.

I am really grateful if you could guide me on how to install the SR-IOV driver in ESXI 7.0 host machine. Should I need to install it via the Command line? I am new to virtualization that why I am asking from you. I hope you will understand. 

Thank you again.  

0 Kudos
Shahzad-Ali
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have installed the below driver for my 10Gig card with the help of this command.

esxcli software vib install -d

but it's giving the error. Error screenshot is already attached with this message. Please help me to resolve this issue.  

Intel-ixgben_1.10.3.0-1OEM.700.1.0.15843807_18186714-package

Intel-ixgben_1.11.4.0-1OEM.700.1.0.15843807_18655854-package (1)

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

If you try to install a *.vib its parameter -v and if your wanna install a *.zip its parameter -d (for depot)

esxcli software vib install -v  /full/path/to.vib

or

esxcli software vib install -d  /full/path/to.zip

Regards,
Joerg

Shahzad-Ali
Contributor
Contributor

Hi IRIX201110141,

thank you for your reply.

i have download the Intel-ixgben_1.10.3.0-1OEM.700.1.0.15843807_18186714-package driver for my Ethernet controller: Intel(R) 82599 10 Gigabit Dual Port Network Connection card, but when i install it with the help of below provided command its giving me the error screenshot is already attached with this message.

Could you please help me where i am making a mistake. 

Really greatful 

Thank you 

0 Kudos
Shahzad-Ali
Contributor
Contributor

Furthermore, i have reinstall my ESXI host machine and now i have lastest Vmware vession 7.0U2a install on my Dell power edge server R730 CPU: 8 CPUs x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2637 v3 @ 3.50GHz

i have one more question, is my dell power edge server support intel Intel(R) 82599 10 Gigabit Dual Port Network Card?

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Please provide the download url of your driver package. Other way take a look whats inside the *.zip because some time its a zip in a zip or there is a vib in the zip. A valid zip needs special content like the index.xml and other files.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

I have checked the https://customerconnect.vmware.com/en/downloads/details?downloadGroup=DT-ESXI70-INTEL-IXGBEN-11140&p... and its a Zip in a Zip so please unzip it first and than install it with  -d /full/path/to.zip.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
Shahzad-Ali
Contributor
Contributor

@IRIX201110141 i'm really greaful you are helping me. 

Sir, you are saying right there is zip under zip. now this time i have installed successfully SR-IOV driver. You can see that in the attached image. But still got the same issue, driver is unable to activate its showing me to reboot the machine after successfully installed the driver. i have reboot the machine many time but its useless. 

My problem is still there nothing happen after upgrade the ESXI host and driver updation.  Please help me 😞 

My Card model : Intel(R) 82599 10 Gigabit Dual Port Network card
Vmware ESXI version:  ESXi 7.0 U2
Installed Driver: ixgben version 1.11.4.0 to supoport & enable SR-IOV

0 Kudos
Shahzad-Ali
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone please help me 😞

0 Kudos
Ardaneh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I recommend trying these steps if it's possible for you:

- Downgrade your ESXi version to 6.7u3 and check again

- try to set "VMkernel.Boot.disableACSCheck" to true in your ESXi "advanced settings"

I hope this could be helpful

0 Kudos
Shahzad-Ali
Contributor
Contributor

useless community, 

i already figure it out... none of the above solution work for me. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Why don't you help making the community more useful by providing your solution?

André

GeoGT
Contributor
Contributor

Hello. What is the solution for this issue? I'm running into the same issue. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

I can only help about installing a driver.  Yes i have Dell R620 with the Intel 82599 and they run great. BUT i dont use SR-IOV.  Does somebody checked if there is a Device/BIOS setting needed in the HW to get the ESXi driver to support that feature?

Edit:
5sec with Google:
NOTE: Before running the following commands, the following options should be enabled in the BIOS

• Virtualization Technology
  • SR-IOV Global Enable

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
filipe_dias
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I I had exately the same problem. After install the drivers for a network card, the issue has been solved.

0 Kudos
IC123
Contributor
Contributor

HI,

DO YOU HAVE THE SOLUTION?

0 Kudos
Kelv1n12
Contributor
Contributor

Did you configure the Flux setting? if not, you risk it crashing out when it reaches 88.