VMware Cloud Community
virtzgiri
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

trying to setup at home

i am trying to learn Vmware .so i installed a workstation,created 2 esx.have installed a VI client to access both the esx individually and work on them.now i want to create a cluster with the esx to deepen my knowledge of Vmware....i downloaded the free trial of vsphere 5.i created a new new vm with windows 2003 enterprise edition and trying to install the vcenter server on it.but the error pops up as the processor aint compatable..the following is the config given to the w2k3 ee server...is there any way to work around the issue

1833366.png

Please to help

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

vCenter 5 requires a 64 bit guest.   When installing vCenter into a VM it requires 3 GB RAM and at least 2 vCPUs.  There are a few more items here - http://communities.vmware.com/message/1821310.

Dave
VMware Communities User Moderator

Free ESXi Essentials training / eBook offer

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security

Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

golddiggie
Champion
Champion

If you're using VMware Workstation to run the ESXi hosts (aka, nested), then create the vCenter VM within Workstation, not on one of the ESXi hosts... That way you'll be able to run the 64 bit OS that vCenter Server requires.

Personally, I have ESXi 4,1 installed on a powerful workstation class system (dual E5405 Xeon's, 16GB RAM, etc.) so all the VM's there can run whatever OS I want, without issue. I am planning on creating a VM either there, or on my desktop (another workstation running dual E5345 Xeon's with 16GB RAM) to test and see if ESXi 5 will play nice with my iSCSI SAN now, or if I need to wait doe a software/firmware update first. I hope that they can get the device to be compatible (if it's not already) via iSCSI. I really didn't want to HAVE to get a new SAN/NAS in order to run ESXi 5...