VMware Cloud Community
JuanDuran
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

transfering file to Host using scp "No space left on device"

Hi everyone, I have 4 Hosts build 260247 and I am looking forward to upgrade it to 348481 using esxupdate method:

I downloaded the .zip file from vmware server to my PC and when I try to copy this file to the Host is not possible, I receive the same massage with all the Hosts: "scp: /tmp/upgrade-from-esxi4.0-to-4.1-update01-348481.zip: No space left on device"

The upgrade-from-esxi4.0-to-4.1-update01-348481.zip file size is 217 Mb and when I receive the message I see the file copied on the ESX but the size is 201 Mb. In every Host I am not able to copy files larger than 200 Mb.

Just to check I copied a 50 Mb file (smaller than the upgrade.zip) and it was copied properly.

I searched everywhere and had no luck. I used diferent SCP clients, diferent ESX Hosts, etc.

scp.JPG

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

After uploading a file to a datastore, you are able to access it in the CLI at "/vmfs/volumes/<datastore-name>/..."

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello and welcome to the forums.

Note: This discussion was moved from the VMware ESXi™ 4 community to the VMware ESX™ 4 community.

Try a different directory.  A VMFS volume would be a reasonably safe pick for it's free space, as you can verify the free space in them using the vSphere client before copying the file.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Welcome to the community.

Try do same task but using VI Client > Configuration > Storage > Select Data Store > Browse DataStore > Select icon Upload file or folder.

Good Luck

Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. 

Mauro Bonder - Moderator

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Your screen shot is kind of confusing. You are talking about the ESXi update (which is shown in the tmp folder), but the error message shows the ESX update file!?

Btw. the recommended and supported update method for ESXi is to use vihostupdate (unless you have Update Manager in place).

André

0 Kudos
JuanDuran
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am transfering the .zip file from my PC to ESXi using SCP program. If I would be able to finish this taks then, from ESXi unsupported cli I would execute the esxupdate command.

I do not have Update Manager, that´s why I choose esxupdate method.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
JuanDuran
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks to you. I am able to upload the .zip to the DataStore but from ESXi unsupported cli I am not able to see this DataStore.

What I am trying to do is to transfer the file from my PC to the VMKernel\tmp folder because from ESXi unsupported cli I am able to see this folder.

Regards.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

After uploading a file to a datastore, you are able to access it in the CLI at "/vmfs/volumes/<datastore-name>/..."

André

0 Kudos
JuanDuran
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How can I verify the free space folders on the VMKernel using the vSphere client ?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

From the vSphere Client you can only see the free disk space on a datastore. To find out about the free disk space for the VMkernel, run df -h on the command line.

André

0 Kudos
JuanDuran
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It worked! I copied the .zip file using the SCP program instead of /tmp  folder to /vmfs/volumes and the file was completed copied. I am running the esxupdate now.

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos