VMware Cloud Community
mozzie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

to be filled by o.e.m

Hi

Can someone please confirm if ESXi only discovers FRU information during install?

I have an asrock server motherboard that didn't have any FRU information populted, I have since installed ESXi 5.5 and populated all the FRU fields but vshpere still reports back "to be filled by o.e.m"

Is there a command I can run to re-poll the FRU fields?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Alistar
Expert
Expert

Try running this script on your ESXi host: Host IPMI Event Status Alarm PowerCLI Fix | VMXP it clears, resets and refreshes the CIM daemons - it might help.

Stop by my blog if you'd like 🙂 I dabble in vSphere troubleshooting, PowerCLI scripting and NetApp storage - and I share my journeys at http://vmxp.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
markzz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm not sure of the method to refresh CIM information and of course this would only be relevant if the hardware is on the HCL or is so generic is correctly detected.

If your setup is simple rather than redetecting the hardware why not just reinstall ESXi, it only takes a 10 minutes?

you can of course export your configuration KB2042141

VMware KB: Backing up and restoring ESXi configuration using the vSphere Command-Line Interface and ...

mozzie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the suggestions, however, I would have thought it would be possible, to *rediscover* the FRU information after install. What is ESXi doing to pull down the FRU details during install that can't be performed post install??

0 Kudos