VMware Cloud Community
Mike_Aspin
Contributor
Contributor

tmp folder issue applying update 1

I am currently trying to apply update 1 to my ESX4i server using vihostupdate.pl However I am getting the following error:

C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware vSphere CLI\bin>vihostupdate.pl -b d:\temp\ESXi-4.0.0-update01.zip --server esxsrv1 --install --username root --password xxxx

Please wait patch installation is in progress ...

Failed to download offline bundle .zip.Remote file /tmp/updatecache/ESXi-4.0.0-update01.zip does not exist.

Any ideas??

Mike

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Mike_Aspin
Contributor
Contributor

After further investigation I amended the location of the scratch folder - all works fine now!

0 Kudos
mgar
Contributor
Contributor

What does that mean you amended the scratch folder? What did you have to do to get it to work? As I am having the same issues.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

When you have a problem you should always post a new question and fully explain the issue including your hardware, the versions you are using, how you have ESXi installed etc.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
Mike_Aspin
Contributor
Contributor

This is what I did - not sure if it's the offical way or not, but if worked for me!

From vSphere client:-

Create a 'temp' folder in the datastore. Configuration->Storage->Browse datastore

Edit the scratch folder location. Configuration->(Software) Advanced Settings->ScratchConfig

Set the value for ScratchConfig.ConfiguredScratchLocation to point to your new temp folder. My datastore is called Storage1, so I put in /vmfs/volumes/Storage1/temp

Save values and reboot.

Upgrade worked after that.

0 Kudos