VMware Cloud Community
EricTrentMiller
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

time config and ntp

i read somewhere that it's best to set your BIOS clock to UTC on your physical hosts and use NTP for sync....is this true?

Also, when using the public ntp servers, I can't tell if I should use

pool.ntp.org

or

0.pool.ntp.org

1.pool.ntp.org

2.pool.ntp.org

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ESXi only uses UTC and if I remember will set the hardware clock on shutdown. Any of the pool.ntp.org references are fine but it it is useful to use something further up the chain. In North America using 0.north-america.pool.ntp.org may get you less congested but geographically closer time servers.

0.north-america.pool.ntp.org

1.north-america.pool.ntp.org

2.north-america.pool.ntp.org

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

i read somewhere that it's best to set your BIOS clock to UTC on your physical hosts and use NTP for sync....is this true?

Yes, this is true for ESXi, which does not provide time zone settings.

Basically you can use any reliable ntp server. If you have a Windows domain you could use the DC's (PDC Emulator) for synchronizing the time.

André

DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ESXi only uses UTC and if I remember will set the hardware clock on shutdown. Any of the pool.ntp.org references are fine but it it is useful to use something further up the chain. In North America using 0.north-america.pool.ntp.org may get you less congested but geographically closer time servers.

0.north-america.pool.ntp.org

1.north-america.pool.ntp.org

2.north-america.pool.ntp.org

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Eric,

I'd use the same time servers that you use for the rest of  your Network.

If you are AD for example and AD is using the PDC Emulator as definitive source (which then syncs externally) I'd use the Domain for time sync as it is local.

We use an InfoBlox DHCP / DNS appliance which syncs externally and we then sync off that (no port / firewall / lag issues and ESX clocks align with all other internal hosts)

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos