VMware Cloud Community
alex1morgan
Contributor
Contributor

the purple screen appears randomly after heavy work

hi

my ESXI on HP Gen10, Crash randomly after heavy work finished. every 10 days or 15 days. at first, my ESXi was installed on SD-CARD, I read community and replace it with two RAID-1 HPE HDD, But After one week, ESXI crash every day or twice a day.

I installed "VMware vRealize Log Insight" to catch the problem log on another server, but no log save for crash time.

what is this problem from? I very confuse and need help, please

My Server:

Gen10, Firmware Fully Upgraded to 05/0/2021. 512GB RAM,  2x Gold 6252, Raid HPE, SSD Enterprise HPE 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
fabio1975
Commander
Commander

Ciao what is the exact model of HPE? Is the host connected to external storage (ISCSI, SAS etc ..)?

Usually, this purple screen is given by an HW or SW error.

Do you have the ILO on the HPE server and are there any reports on it?

I recommend you open a call to HPE HW Support and VMware.

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog
If you're satisfied give me a kudos

0 Kudos
alex1morgan
Contributor
Contributor

🙂

I know this is from software or hardware, but don't know those code point to which problem.
ILO report all things are ok and green.
I need a VMware expert who can debug this purple page attached to my first question

0 Kudos
pkvmw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Alex,

PSOSDs are very, very complex and relatively hard to diagnose (especially without a clear stacktrace like in your screenshot), hence time-consuming and might need engineering involvement. Collect the dump with a log bundle and file a SR as Fabio recommended for further analysis.

And iLO not reporting errors doesn't necessarily mean there're no hardware faults.

Regards,
Patrik

0 Kudos
MikeStoica
Expert
Expert

What ESXi version are you running? Is this managed through vCenter? Is your hardware on VMware HCL?

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.

What brand and model is the physical server?

What disk controller does it have?

Is the VMware vSphere installed with a custom image from the manufacturer?

Use the following command to verify if the image is standard (VMware) or customized by a vendor (Lenovo, IBM, HPE, Dell)

# esxcli software profile get

Run the following commands to verify how the ESXi is recognizing the controller and what NVMe drivers you have installed on the ESXi host.

[root@esxi:~] esxcli storage core adapter list

[root@esxi:~] esxcfg-scsidevs -a

[root@esxi:~] esxcli software vib list | grep -i nvme

Please paste your results in this post.

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos