VMware Cloud Community
xbradshr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

templates disconnected

I was doing some hardware upgrades on ESXi 4 hosts. When placing them in maintenance mode, I noticed that templates are marked as disconnected in vcenter. Most options seem to be grayed out, and there is no option to remove from inventory, and therefore no way to re-register.

How do you deal with a situation where a host containing a template is temporarily or permanently off line. I am using a HA/DRS cluster. In the case of temporary down time, I could delete the template from inventory before placing the host in maintenance mode, then re-register on another host. What happens in cases of unexpected down time, where a host has templates marked disconnected. How do you get the templates back?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

How do you deal with a situation where a host containing a template is temporarily or permanently off line.

You should be able to disconnect/remove the host from vCenter and then the "disconnected" templates will be gone.  From there you can use the datastore browser and "add to inventory" the .vmtx file

0 Kudos