rpcblast
Contributor
Contributor

tech support mode questions

I have two questions:

one: in tech support mode, where are the logs stored/what would be the best way to get to them?  I am not a linux guru by any means.  I am specifically looking for any log related to host USB devices, since USB passthrough is being uncooperative.  I am running 4.1u1

two: in the security profile section, what is the difference between "start and stop with host" and "start automatically" options for a service?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
timemachine
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Answer to question 1: In ESXi there are logs found in the directory /var/log/, you will have to first "cd" to this directory cd /var/log and you can check out the logs in here. the file /var/log/messages is one of the important logs, you can also refer to other logs in here.

Answer to question 2:  In the security profile we have the following three options for a given service:

1.Start automatically if any ports are open, and stop when all ports are closed.

This means that the system would scan for the ports related to the service under consideration and would automatically stop the service if the assiciated port numbers are closed by the admin and would automatically start the service if it finds the associated port numbers are closed.

so for example if we consider the service ssh. its port number is 22. the esxi server would scan this port and if its found to be closed manually by the admin the ssh service would also be stoped

2.start and stop with host : this is the simplest option. so the service would stop when host comes down (reboot/shutdown) and would stat automatically with startup of host.

3. start and stop manually : so we need to manuall start or stop service.

example : service network stop

service network start

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

ESXi doesn't have a firewall so the ports are always open.  The start automatically option really only applies to ESX.  Thus it really behaves like the start and stop with host option.

0 Kudos