ESXi

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

system down out of space

• 1.  system down out of space

Posted Nov 30, 2010 11:02 PM

I have a windows 2003 sbs server on a esxi 4.01 that will not boot becuase it suddenly is out of space on the datastore. how do i know what files can be safely deleted . when i started several months ago i only had a few files for the vm. it has build to around 20 files. i have several vmdk files that are taking up alot of space. here is error

There is no more space for virtual disk DSERVER.

gopa.local-000003.vmdk. You may be able to

continue this session by freeing disk space on the

relevant partition, and clicking Retry. Otherwise,

click Abort to terminate this session.

info

11/30/2010 5:00:39 PM

User

Ty mark

• 2.  RE: system down out of space

Posted Nov 30, 2010 11:31 PM

You cannot just delete files. The files that use the disk space are snapshots.

Please post:

- a screenshot of the snapshot manager for this VM

- a screenshot of the VM's folder in the datastore, showing all files with extensions, sizes, date/time

- the free disk space on the datastore

- the build number of the ESXi host (to see whether Update 2 is installed or not)

- the vmx file

André

• 3.  RE: system down out of space

Posted Nov 30, 2010 11:36 PM

Do you have another datastore you can migrate it to?

Have you checked to see if you have any snapshots you can delete?

• 4.  RE: system down out of space

Posted Nov 30, 2010 11:59 PM

@taylorb and others. Since there is risk to the posters data and it is easy to get confused when there is too much activity please let Andre and 01closer work on this together.

Forum Upgrade Notice - the VMware Communities forums will be upgraded the weekend of December 12th. The forum will be in read-only mode from Friday, December 10th 6 PM PST until Sunday, December 12th 2 AM PST.

• 5.  RE: system down out of space

Posted Nov 30, 2010 11:58 PM

ok it is esxi 4.00 build 208167

the .doc files are bmp files i changed the extention. the client i am working from remotely is limited

Thank you for looking. we do not use the snapshot manager but use veaam to backup

Mark

• 6.  RE: system down out of space

Posted Dec 01, 2010 12:04 AM

the 2 other files did not go. trying again. this is datastore. there are no snapshots in the manager

• 7.  RE: system down out of space

Posted Dec 01, 2010 12:08 AM

I forgot to post there is 4 gigs free space left out of 850gb

• 8.  RE: system down out of space

Posted Dec 01, 2010 12:19 AM

In your screenshot I saw there is a current vmsd file. Please post/attach this file. Maybe I can recover it to make the snapshots visible again in the snapshot manager. Once visible you can savely remove it using the "Delete" button.

André

• 9.  RE: system down out of space

Posted Dec 01, 2010 12:27 AM

here you go. Thank you very much

mark

• 10.  RE: system down out of space

Posted Dec 01, 2010 01:13 AM

I so much apreciate your help. are u able to look at this file tonight. i am standing by my email is why i ask

Ty mark

• 11.  RE: system down out of space
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 01, 2010 01:19 AM

Sorry it took some time, but I did a quick test on my test environment.

I attached a modified vmsd file which now represents the two snapshots on the VM.

You need to upload the file to the datastore. If the two snapshots (Consolidate Helper- 0 and 2) do not show up in the snapshot manager right away, you may need to remove the VM from the inventory (right click the VM in the inventory and select "Remove from Inventory") and add it back again (right click the vmx file in the datastore and select "Add to inventory").

Once you see both snapshots, select the first one "Consolidate Helper- 0" and click "Delete". This will consolidate the 58GB snapshot (...000002.vmdk) into the base disk. This will take some time. Before committing the second snapshot, you should start the VM to see whether the snapshot is still ok after the VM was shut down due to the low disk space. Once the VM starts and everything looks ok, you can delete the second snapshot "Consolidate Helper- 2" in the snapshot manager.

For the above, I assume that your base virtual disk is thick provisioned. If not please report back. Don't try to commit the snapshot in this case!!!

Before you start committing the snapshots, make sure Veeam does not kick in during snapshot consolidation.

André

what I modified is in bold:

.encoding = "UTF-8" 
    snapshot.lastUID = "100" 
    snapshot.numSnapshots = "2" <-- old value: "1" 
    snapshot.current = "100"  <-- old value: "26"
    snapshot0.uid = "26" 
    snapshot0.filename = "DSERVER.gopa.local-Snapshot26.vmsn" 
    snapshot0.displayName = "Consolidate Helper- 0" 
    snapshot0.description = "Helper snapshot for online consolidate." 
    snapshot0.createTimeHigh = "300197" 
    snapshot0.createTimeLow = "512329251" 
    snapshot0.numDisks = "1" 
    snapshot0.disk0.fileName = "DSERVER.gopa.local.vmdk" 
    snapshot0.disk0.node = "scsi0:0" 

snapshot.needConsolidate = "FALSE" <-- old value: "TRUE" 

snapshot1.uid = "100" 
    snapshot1.filename = "DSERVER.gopa.local-Snapshot100.vmsn" 
    snapshot1.parent = "26" 
    snapshot1.displayName = "Consolidate Helper- 2" 
    snapshot1.description = "Helper snapshot for online consolidate." 
    snapshot1.createTimeHigh = "300614" 
    snapshot1.createTimeLow = "-1949083453" 
    snapshot1.numDisks = "1" 
    snapshot1.disk0.fileName = "DSERVER.gopa.local-000002.vmdk" 
    snapshot1.disk0.node = "scsi0:0" 

• 12.  RE: system down out of space

Posted Dec 01, 2010 03:00 AM

I am still in process of the job. the first snapshot has been at 99 percent for about 15 mins. just waiting for it to finalize. I really apreciate your help. i will keep u posted.

TY Mark

• 13.  RE: system down out of space

Posted Dec 01, 2010 04:13 AM

The process is still at 99 percent. is there a way to check to see if its still working or if its hung up

Mark

• 14.  RE: system down out of space

Posted Dec 01, 2010 04:21 AM

It can take a while especially with large snapshots and when you don't have lots of disk space. If you have any other virtual machines you can temporarily shutdown it may help. You can watch the process to verify it is still working by browsing the VM folder in the datastore browser. Refresh from time to time and see if the vmdk file sizes change.

Forum Upgrade Notice - the VMware Communities forums will be upgraded the weekend of December 12th. The forum will be in read-only mode from Friday, December 10th 6 PM PST until Sunday, December 12th 2 AM PST.

• 15.  RE: system down out of space

Posted Dec 01, 2010 04:41 AM

I just cannot thank you enough. Everything went down perfect. I can say you are awesome. You have been a blessing on many jobs for me in the past. The communities and members like you make vmware even better !!!

THANK YOU

Mark

• 16.  RE: system down out of space

Posted Dec 01, 2010 04:51 AM

There is no more space for virtual disk DSERVER.

gopa.local-000003.vmdk. You may be able to

continue this session by freeing disk space on the

relevant partition, and clicking Retry. Otherwise,

click Abort to terminate this session.

next time you see this - do NOT answer.

Make some room first - as soon as you answer that question the damage is done.

The VM can wait in this stage for several hours.

So relax - thing about which VM can be moved or if there is anything less important that can be deleted.

After you were able to free up some space answer CONTINUE

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

• 17.  RE: system down out of space

Posted Dec 01, 2010 05:45 PM

Mark,

you are very welcome and thank you for your friendly words.

André

• 18.  RE: system down out of space

Posted Dec 01, 2010 06:02 PM

you are welcome. The words are well deserved. you have been a incredibile help last night as well as past post

Ty again

Mark

• 19.  RE: system down out of space

Posted Dec 01, 2010 12:11 AM

... we do not use the snapshot manager but use veaam to backup

... there are no snapshots in the manager

That's due to how backup applications work. Snapshots created by Veeam and other backup software do not add the snapshot to the vmsd file, so it can be displayed in the snapshot manager.

Please take a look into the logfiles Veeam writes. It looks like Veeam has issues with removing/committing the snapshots after backup. This issue should be resolved first.

André

• 20.  RE: system down out of space

Posted Dec 01, 2010 12:16 AM

is there no files i can remove to get this vm running or do i need to try to get veaam to reduce the file size