VMware Cloud Community
ginger8990
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

syslogs and logs in vsphere 5.1

We configured and set up syslogs to a remote linux box but  we don't see too much information in it.

How many logs in vsphere such as syslogs, logs for vcenter server. What other logs are out there?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ginger8990
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to automate the export of vcenter logs???

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

You may want to take a look at virtuallyGhetto: Forwarding vCenter Server Logs to a Syslog Server for how you can configure syslog for vCenter Server.

André

0 Kudos
ginger8990
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you. There are some good information in the link.

As I read and understand there are a few kind of logs in vSphere:

1) syslogs for hosts

2) logs ferom vCenter server components on ESi 5.1  (/var/log/vpxa.log and /var/log/fdm.log)

Are these two server components logs located at the below?

C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\Logs

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

No, vpxa.log and fdm.log are located on the ESXi host. You can find more information about log files at VMware KB: Location of ESXi 5.0 log files

André

0 Kudos
ginger8990
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We set up syslog collector to collect logs but only syslogs.

How to collect other logs such as vcenter server logs? Where is it located of vcenter servers logs?

0 Kudos
ginger8990
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

syslog s are supposed to including logs of all vmware servers including vcenter server?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Syslog is not the log file, it's the tool to transfer different logs. You can include other logs if you want as explained in the virtuallyGhetto link I provided. For log locations take a look at the KB article I mentioned before. In addition to the log files shown in this KB article, it contains a "See Also" section which provides links to additiional information.

André

0 Kudos