ESXi

View Only
  • 1.  subnet of the sun VLAN ID

Posted Dec 09, 2011 02:42 AM

hi all,

after a company started the configuration to us on the vpshere and san.  i have a question what they did to my san vmkernel vlan id, they selected ALL (4095).  Is that right?  my subnet on the san is 20.10.70.x, should i also put that on the same subnet or leave it that way?  i know my settings are complicated since i am using advance cisco switch 3750 that can i do trunking for all subnet connection on two switches and the other switches are for san connection.

thanks for any comment you may add...

• 2.  RE: subnet of the sun VLAN ID
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 09, 2011 03:13 AM

That is not a common configuration - typically tagging is done at the port group or virtual switch. The only reason why you would do this is if the tagging were done at the physical switch - personally I would configure the vlans consistently across for all networks - management, iSCSI, production, vmotion etc tagging at the virtual switch

• 3.  RE: subnet of the sun VLAN ID

Posted Dec 09, 2011 06:19 AM

rickyv wrote:

after a company started the configuration to us on the vpshere and san.  i have a question what they did to my san vmkernel vlan id, they selected ALL (4095).  Is that right? 

Hello rickyv, could you leave some more details on your setup? Where is the 4095 VLAN id applied - is that to the Vmkernel port groups? Do you have other VLANs as well, for the virtual machine portgroups?

As weinstein5 notes, this is most often not a good thing to do. The 4095 should only be used in the rare cases you would want to do VLAN tagging inside the guests themselfs, but this has a lot of disadvantages.

• 4.  RE: subnet of the sun VLAN ID

Posted Dec 23, 2011 06:57 PM

i was thinking of putting this san vmkernel vlan id to it's own vlan id and not all vlan id of 4095, is that better?

• 5.  RE: subnet of the sun VLAN ID

Posted Dec 24, 2011 09:04 AM

rickyv wrote:

i was thinking of putting this san vmkernel vlan id to it's own vlan id and not all vlan id of 4095, is that better?

It is most likely a lot better, but it is a bit hard to say without knowing your exact setup. However, as noted before - the VLAN id 4095 is very rarely used and the normal operation is to put each vmkernel port with just the corresponding VLAN.