VMware Cloud Community
MizComputing
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

storage vmotion and vsphere 4.1 eval

Hi there,

I am using vsphere 4.1 (eval version). I have two host's with shared storage. I have vcenter installed and the two hosts added.

When I try to storage vmotion a VM I find that the option "Change both host and datastore" is greyed out.

Underneath the greyed out option is the line "The virtual machine must be powered off to change the VM's host and datastore"

When I look at "Licensed features" I see that "Storage vMotion" is available.

Any ideas why I cannot storage vmotion?

Many thanks,

p.s Can someone tell me are the different versions of vsphere i.e. Essentials, Standard, Enterprise, Enterprise plus etc, actually different pieces of software or is the different a license difference?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What you selected is not a Storage vMotion. if you want to change the datastore, you can't change the host at the same time. If you change hostm you cant change the datastore at the same time.

Pick one or the other.

--Matt

VCP, VCDX #52, Unix Geek, Storage Nerd

9773_9773.gif

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What you selected is not a Storage vMotion. if you want to change the datastore, you can't change the host at the same time. If you change hostm you cant change the datastore at the same time.

Pick one or the other.

--Matt

VCP, VCDX #52, Unix Geek, Storage Nerd

9773_9773.gif

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you want to move both to another host and another datastore, it still must be performed as a cold migration. However, the workaround it to just vMotion to another host, and the sVMotion to another DS.

also, see

http://www.vmware.com/products/vsphere/buy/editions_comparison.html

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

As the other posters already said:

"The virtual machine must be powered off to change the VM's host and datastore"

"Change both host and datastore" is a function which does a VMotion plus SVMotion at once. This is only possible with the VM powered off. You can SVMotion (change datastore) without VMotion (change host) with the VM powered on.

About the second question:

p.s Can someone tell me are the different versions of vsphere i.e. Essentials, Standard, Enterprise, Enterprise plus etc, actually different pieces of software or is the different a license difference?

The host installations are the same. It's only the license key which limits the features.

André