VMware Cloud Community
mtmigs
Contributor
Contributor

still locking files on previous esxi machine

I need to move several machines off of a esxi server onto a different esxi server. I found I can use scp to copy from the one datastore to the new machine's datastore. However, after installing the inventory on the new machine I found the machine does not run properly. I also recently discovered that when the new machine's copy is running it still locks the files on the old machine. So there seems to still be some connection to the old machine. How can I get rid of that since I need to completely wipe out that original machine?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
nileshm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Both your esx hosts are in same network or different network? If they are in same network and same vcenter, why don't you migrate vms using option change host and datastore both?

0 Kudos
mtmigs
Contributor
Contributor

Both esxi machines are on the same network (subnet).

This "option change host and datastore" sounds like the perfect solution. Where can I find it or more information about doing it?

0 Kudos
nileshm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Power off your VM > Right click and select Migrate > here you will find option to change both compute resource and storage. > Further it will give you option to choose destination host, datastore and network. Migration takes time depending upon the disk size. Give a try to one of your VM and see how much time it takes.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
mtmigs
Contributor
Contributor

I am currently running esxi v 5.5.0 on both machines and vSphere Client 5.5.0. I tried doing as you said, right click on a powered off vm, but there was no option to migrate.

0 Kudos
MikeStoica
Expert
Expert

Are you using vCenter to manage the ESXi hosts?

0 Kudos
nileshm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am assuming you are using vcenter to manage your hosts.

0 Kudos
MikeStoica
Expert
Expert

Looks like you are not using vCenter.

So before copying it with SCP, did you remove from inventory?

0 Kudos
mtmigs
Contributor
Contributor

I am not using vCenter and I did not remove from inventory before copying the files.

I have noticed one machine seems to be partially moved. It was originally on vm2 and the files remain there with the exception that three files (m3-flat.vmdk, m3.vmsd, & m3.vmx) are now on the new esxi machine with recent file access times.. Also when I power on m3 "esxcli vm process list" shows the it running on the new esxi machine. However, there is a complete set of m3 files with old times only on the old esxi machine.

migmar3-flat.vmdk  migmar3.vmsd       migmar3.vmx

0 Kudos
SureshKumarMuth
Commander
Commander

Why don't you export the VM as OVF instead of manual SCP copy which requires manual integrity check. Exporting OVF is the best way to do without any issues however that requires the VM to be down, if you can take downtime for the VM you may try exporting as OVF from source host and import the machine as OVF on destination server

Export an OVF Template

Regards,
Suresh
https://vconnectit.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos