VMware Cloud Community
sahmed24
Contributor
Contributor

start/stop 30 virtual machines results in system hangup

Hi

I have one ESX host. The specification of the host and the storage is mentioned below. I am having a issue. i turned on 30 virtual machine in very short interval, and then i tried to turn them off and on again, basically trying to put load on the system. There is no vCenter Server involved here. its a standalone ESX host with NAS storage. When i do the above i get sever and storage hangup. I lose connection to ESX from vSphere Client, and before losing connection i see that the ESX host loses connection with the datastore. I put another ESX host and connected to the same datastore, and i found that the second host also lost connection with the datastore. Therefore to find out that its the Thecus server which is handing up (and not the ESX host), i rebooted my Thecus server and things came back to normal.

Below is the host and storage server specifications. The thecus server is set not to use jumbo frames. it is on giga bit network with esx host. Link aggregation is set to 'Load balance' . The product is N8800SAS with firmware 3.03.00.4

thanks

=====================Server============================

PowerEdge R710

8 CPUs x 2.4GHz

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5620 2.4 GHz

=======================================================

=====================STORAGE============================

SAN / Thecus SAN solution 8 Bay, 2 * G. Ethernet

Primary Volume "/vmfs/volumes/N8800 store"

Brand and model......: Thecus N8800 8 bay (SATA/SATAII) Present Spec..........: 6 SATAII Drives in bay no 1 2 3, 6 7 8 Drive modell & Size...: HUS156060VLS600 (572 GB each) Present Raid..........: 1 + 0 (Also called 10) (Totaly 1.6 TB Storage) Present Protocol..... : iSCSI, NFS, CIFS

Primary Volume "/vmfs/volumes/N8800 iscsi 2"

Brand and model......: Same

Present Spec..........: 2 SATA Drives in bay no 4 & 5 Drive modell & Size...: WDC WD10EADS (972 GB each) Present Raid..........: 1 (Mirror) (Totaly 1 TB Storage) Present Protocol..... : iSCSI, NFS, CIFS

=======================================================

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
0 Replies