VMware Cloud Community
dirtdevil01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

stalled server then weird spike in graph

I had just a few (4) vms on and in one of them I was installed oracle (free edition) and in the middle of the install my vic connection was loosing response to the server. All the vms where running fine and I was still able to load web sites zippy quick that where hosted from vms on the box. Ping response was fine to all the vms ips as well as the managment ip I was having the slow response time from. A few minutes later, I did an nmap (sniffed the ports) and noticed almost all the TCP/IP ports where closed. Onlys 2 or three where open. ssh wasn't one of them. Every few tries I was able to reconnect but most items I tried to view couldn't pull any details before my connection got cut again.

I did a reboot and all is well now. When I tried to check out the graphs, I got this weird spike in system, datastore, disk and datastore graphs (the attachment). I'm asuming I didn't allocate enough resources to vmware so I checked and the resources allocated to vmware where the defaults, 500Mhz of cpu and a tiny amount of ram. I was doing a lot of I/O with that oracle install so could the stall be from vmware not having enough resources to juggle a i/o demanding vm?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bshubinsky
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

It's a Windows service, so you'd need access (such as RDP or Citrix) to the server vCenter is running on.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
dirtdevil01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Now, none of my graphs work. How do I restart the graph service (if there is one) without restarting the box?

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Have you tried to restart the management agents on the host? You can do that at the console of the host with the DCUI.

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

bshubinsky
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Usually graphs are controlled (at least through the Overview selection, not Advanced) the Management Webservices service.

dirtdevil01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is there any way I can restart the graphing service through the vic and without local console access?

0 Kudos
bshubinsky
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

It's a Windows service, so you'd need access (such as RDP or Citrix) to the server vCenter is running on.

0 Kudos