VMware Cloud Community
homermg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

snmp traps every 5 min

Hi all,

i have installed esxi5 on my dell poweredge2950 and enable the snmp traps.

Our snmp manger tool recieving now every 5 min this traps:

vmwProductSpecific.90.0.401 [1] vmwProductSpecific.30.3.0 (Octet String): 07 dc 09 07 07 35 24 00  [2] snmpTrapEnterprise.0 (Object ID): vmwProductSpecific.90

Im really confused now why.

Can anybody help me with this?

Thank you very much

Tags (2)
6 Replies
pwolf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is an absolutely harmless trap, which tells you that - according to the MIB (VMWARE-CIMOM-MIB) "This notification, if the agent is so configured, will be sent  on a periodic basis to indicate cimom indication delivery is functioning".

So only the failure to get that traps could be potential problem.

HTH

venkyVM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

To get rid of this trap, set your hwsrc in the SNMP Configuration to sensors rather than indications.

0 Kudos
MRSNMP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The trap you are seeing is from the VMWARE-CIMOM-MIB.

VMWARE-CIMOM-MIB    vmwCimOmHeartbeat              notification 1.3.6.1.4.1.6876.4.90.0.401

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-50/topic/com.vmware.cimsdk.smashref.doc_50/class_VMware_CIMHeartbeat....

Changing to sensors is not a good idea as then the individual traps for fan, power supply, etc won't show up

That leaves these choices:

1. Filter out the trap (vicfg-snmp --notrap  1.3.6.1.4.1.6876.4.90.0.401

This configuration command tells the agent what traps not to send, it can be a list separated by a comma (trap-id1,trapid2,...)

2. Change the periodicity of the CIM Heartbeat (default is 5 minutes)

-- I searched for the steps to do that, but came up flat. Will update the post shortly.

MRSNMP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Here's how to change the rate at which the CIMOM's provider sends heartbeats.

Edit /etc/sfcb/sfcb.cfg

add

heartbeatInterval: <seconds>

The minimum is 30 seconds and maximum value is 2147483647 (that's 24,855 days according to wolfram alpha)

joerockt
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for providing this information.  Is a reboot or service restart required?

0 Kudos
venkyVM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

service restart is required: /etc/init.d/sfcbd-watchdog restart

0 Kudos