VMware Cloud Community
xbradshr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

snapshot removal, delete versus delete all

I had a 50GB VM, with a 5GB snapshot. My intention was to remove the snapshot and commit changes to the base disk. I used the delete operation on the snapshot. It has done as a wanted, but the base disk is 55GB. I was surprised on the size increase, as I expected the disks to merge. There is around 25GB of free space on the Windows guest. Disk is thick provisioned. ESXI 5.5 with the latest patches.

On reading up, should i have used delete all, or does it not matter? I was not expecting the base disk size to increase, but maybe i am misunderstanding how snapshots work. I am not particularly bothered by 5GB, but just wanted to ensure i understand what would happen in a much larger scenario.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Whether a thin provisioned virtual disk file increases when deleting a snapshot depends on the data in the snapshot. It's the guest OS which places its data on specific locations within its disk/partition. Data blocks which were previously in use (i.e. already allocated in the base .vmdk file) will be overwritten, others will be appended to the base .vmdk file. If - as in your case - the base disk increases by the size of the snapshot, it seems that the guest OS wrote data to locations on the disk which have not been used before.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Whether a thin provisioned virtual disk file increases when deleting a snapshot depends on the data in the snapshot. It's the guest OS which places its data on specific locations within its disk/partition. Data blocks which were previously in use (i.e. already allocated in the base .vmdk file) will be overwritten, others will be appended to the base .vmdk file. If - as in your case - the base disk increases by the size of the snapshot, it seems that the guest OS wrote data to locations on the disk which have not been used before.

André

0 Kudos