ESXi build number:

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Yoshimotto
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Could you check if you have another snapshot ?

Have you try to move the vm to another datastore ?

Rgds

0 Kudos
compdigit44
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Try to follow the steps in the following KB to see if there are any hanging tasks for the VM(s).  https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1004340

0 Kudos
juniorsa
Contributor
Contributor

I deleted all snapshots - there were none

Moving this VM is long as it is 3TB - if it's the only way.

There must be more information or logs other than this message - I'm hoping.

I'll move the VM and try again but it seems like not getting to the root cause of this error.

0 Kudos
Yoshimotto
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

have you got enough space disk into the VM and into the datastore or into your SAN/NAS ?

0 Kudos
SureshKumarMuth
Commander
Commander

Is it happening on one particular VM or all the VMs in the host after upgrading the node to 7.x ?

Can you share the vmware.log file and hostd.log file from the ESXi node with VM name and time stamp. I can have a look at the logs to see what is causing this issue.

Regards,
Suresh
https://vconnectit.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
juniorsa
Contributor
Contributor

yes there is plenty of free space

thank you

0 Kudos
Zuuted
Contributor
Contributor

The failing snapshot is most likely occurring due to some virtual hardware attached to the VM, specifically PCI devices. (For example, if you have a PCI device delivering GPU passthrough.) You can either remove the PCI device, or try shutting the VM down completely and perform an offline snapshot while the VM is powered off. 

If this is occurring on all VMs residing on a particular host, SSH to that host and run the following commands to restart the management services. Then reboot the VM and try another snapshot. 

/etc/init.d/hostd restart
/etc/init.d/vpxa restart

You could also restart the vCenter to ensure that all the management services are running correctly. 

Hopefully this helps! 

0 Kudos
juniorsa
Contributor
Contributor

the snapshot works with the vm off

the problem vm is windows 2019 server on vmware host 1

3TB hard disk

I do have other another vmware host with another vm with windows 2019 server with 1.5TB hard disk on another server and it backs up perfectly.

I can't figure out what the difference is

No special PCI cards are in either host.

Zuuted
Contributor
Contributor

Great to hear that it worked with the powered off VM! Note that the PCI device is not located within the host, but rather in the VM settings. 

If the other VM snapshot works on another host, it's possible that the host may have some faulted services. You can test by vMotioning each VMs to the opposite host and see if it works there. 

Please also note that snapshots should not be used as long-term backups and should be deleted within 72 hours to avoid performance issues, especially with the large storage size of the VMs. For backups that need to remain more than 72 hours, a proper backup solution should be used, such as Rubrik, Veeam etc. 

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1025279 

0 Kudos
juniorsa
Contributor
Contributor

I have chosen to schedule 2 tasks to shutdown the vm during the back each day and start it up again after the backup is finished.

It's not the solution I had hoped for but I need regular backups.

0 Kudos
Yoshimotto
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Could you take a capture of the disks configuration ?

Rgds

0 Kudos