VMware Cloud Community
mbannout
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

snapshot consolidation error

Hello

A VM running on ESXi 5.5 had a snapshot, we upgraded the host from 5.5 to 6.0 without consolidating or deleting the snapshot. now when I try to consolidate or delete i get "detected an invalid snapshot configuration". can anyone help ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mbannout
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you guys for the input, i have found the problem. one of my engineers had changed the name of the virtual machine after taking the snapshot. apparently the vmsd file was still pointing to the old disk name, i fixed the pointer and now i am able to consolidate and delete the snapshot.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mahamk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Power off and Right click the VM then edit settings​. Go to hard disk location  (.vmdk) and note down the path. Now You can create a new VM with no hard disk and attach the hard disk path which you had noted down. Now You can check the snapshot and it should be emptied.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

This error message is usually related to an issue with the VM's .vmsd file.

What you may try is to create another snapshot, and then click "Delete All" from the Snapshot manager.

If this doesn't work, delete the VM's .vmsd file (a small text file), reload the VM (see https://kb.vmware.com/kb/1026043), and then try creating another snapshot again.

André

0 Kudos
mbannout
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi andre

Thanks for the reply. If i delete the vmsd file, what will hapoen to the

old snapshot ?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The .vmsd file stores the information that you see in the Snapshot Manager. Assuming that you don't need to keep any of the snapshots to revert to, deleting the file will not have any negative effect.

André

0 Kudos
mbannout
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@mahamksorry i haven't seen your reply earlier. i'm definitely going to try this tomorrow.

0 Kudos
mbannout
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you guys for the input, i have found the problem. one of my engineers had changed the name of the virtual machine after taking the snapshot. apparently the vmsd file was still pointing to the old disk name, i fixed the pointer and now i am able to consolidate and delete the snapshot.

0 Kudos