VMware Cloud Community
vTrack
Contributor
Contributor

simulate a network failure

Hi Folks,

I have an ESXi 5.1 enviornment with two uplinks (vmnic0 and vmnic1), both configured to vDistributed Switch. I am running some tests to validate the network and want to simulate one of the network failure, rather than pulling out the cable. 

This should be possible thru esxcli but not sure about the steps. Can someone help me know the steps?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
virtualinstall
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Would esxcli network ip interface list & esxcli network ip interface set --enabled false/true be of use?

Ref: http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-50/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.vmware.vcli.ref.doc_50%2Fesxcli_software.ht...

0 Kudos
virtualinstall
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry that's only showing interfaces with a vmk

0 Kudos
virtualinstall
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

esxcli network nic list

esxcli network nic down -n (name of nic to be configured)

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Although it's possible to disable an uplink on the ESXi host, I'd suggest you rather do this on the physical switch (bringing the interface down) to see whether the ESXi host behaves as expected to an "external" failure.

André

rickardnobel
Champion
Champion

I agree that the test A.P. suggest is more fair, since we can not really know what the vmkernel does or does not when interfaces are taken down logically from inside the host.

A "shutdown" (Cisco) or "disable" (HP) from the switch CLI should be a great way to simulate an unexpected linkloss from the ESXi point of view.

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se
0 Kudos