VMware Cloud Community
realdreams
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

shared storage over Internet

In my lab I have a FreeNAS box providing iSCSI storage to ESXi hosts in the lab. At a remote location I have another ESXi host. These 2 sites can be connected via VPN.(RTT <40ms). At the remote site VPN end point is a VM(OpenVPN). Supposingly all hosts have access to a shared storage and everything seems cool. Is there any problem with this method? Where can I do better? I'll verify this setup tomorrow.

vMotion probably won't work well. I have 30/4Mbps at the lab and shared 100Mbps/100Mbps at remote site. If it works I guess it makes migrating(not live migrate) VMs from remote site to lab a lot easier.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Busbar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

the problem that I can see is the delay already provided on the wire not mentioning the Data store, some application will consider the 40 ms already a large delay in the writing operations so it is good for lab setup but I don't think this is ok for productions.

Regards, Mahmoud Magdy Sn. Application Architect. Exchange Server MVP
0 Kudos
sparrowangelste
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If you see this  message, check the latency between the vMotion hosts. If the RTT latency  between the hosts is greater than or equal to 5ms, consider upgrading  to Enterprise Plus licensing in order to leverage latency awareness or  Metro vMotion optimizations. Metro vMotion supports up to 10ms RTT  between vMotion hosts.

at 40ms it seems a little too high to vmotion.
with cold vmotion it might be possible.
--------------------- Sparrowangelstechnology : Vmware lover http://sparrowangelstechnology.blogspot.com
0 Kudos