VMware Cloud Community
josere
Contributor
Contributor

server-flat.vmdk file

I have guest DC that crashed sometime in March, but I recovered the guest OS using backup. However, huge VMDK files(RAID 5 of which 2 of 4 drives failed) were not being backup. We sent all 4 drives to a recovery company and it was recovery. I created a datastore to host the 2TB flat VMDK file, uploaded the flat VMDK file successfully. The guest OS is runing and I need to attach the VMDK file to access data. I went to the settings, add hard drive, select datastore2, and no VMDK file present. I was reading some stuff online that I may need to recreate the VMDK descriptor file. Any ideas? -Thanks.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community - Did they also recover a server.vmdk file - this is the file that contains the information about the virtual disk - the -flat.vmdk is where the data is stored - so if the server.vmdk file was recovered just copy it into the same diirectory of the -flat.vmfk file.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
josere
Contributor
Contributor

I do see the server.vmdk file and the server-flat.vmdk file. I will try uploading that. Thank you!

0 Kudos
BenLiebowitz
Expert
Expert

If you have the flat file and not the original VMDK, you can create a new one. 

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100251...

Be sure to make a backup of the flat file before trying to do this...

Ben Liebowitz, VCP vExpert 2015, 2016, & 2017 If you found my post helpful, please mark it as helpful or answered to award points.
0 Kudos
josere
Contributor
Contributor

There were several VMDK files: server1.vmdk, server1-flat.vmdk, server2.vmdk, server2-flat.vmdk, server3.vmdk, and server3-flat.vmdk. I was able to upload both server1.vmdk and server2.vmdk(both are approximately 400GB), but the server3.vmdk has 2TB. When uploaded onto the datastore, it shows 0KB and provisioned size is 2TB. When I open my computer, there is no additional drive. When I open device manager, the OS wants me to initialize a disk(which is probably that 2TB drive). Anyone has seen this before? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

do not initialize a disk if you think it should have data on it !

Instead try to rebuild the partition table and partition-bootsectors with the tool "Testdisk"

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Interesting - today I saw a VM at a customers location that suddenly lost driveletters for 3 large vmdks.
I was able to fix it with testdisk but wonder why it happened at all

0 Kudos
josere
Contributor
Contributor

Is it possible that VMWare has a limit of 2TB for files?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Yes for vmdk the limit is 2TB.

0 Kudos
josere
Contributor
Contributor

So if it's over 2TB, what are my options? Split it into two?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You can present a physical rdm to VM up to 64TB. Page 4 of this doc Raw Device Mapping size (physical compatibility) 64TB http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere5/r51/vsphere-51-configuration-maximums.pdf

0 Kudos
josere
Contributor
Contributor

The datastore is over 2.75TB but the actual VMDK file is over 2TB. If it's up to 64TB, then there should not be any problem viewing the VMDK file...right?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

As I mentioned, the vmdk limit is 2TB and physical RDM size limit is 64 TB. vmdk specifically means that you are carving out a file from your SAN. RDM is raw device mapping where you are physically presenting the lun to your VM.

0 Kudos