VMware Cloud Community
patoka
Contributor
Contributor

server down - how do I send F8 to a v/m?

I did an update to a virtual machine running windows SBS server 2003 and when it reboots it just stays at the splash screen.

I need to get into safe mode to back the changes out before the doctor's office opens in 4 hours.

I'm running Vshpere client 4.0. I'm a rookie at Vmware, inhertited this system from the techs that set it up, google searches have only talked about mac keyboards sending F8.

thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

You won't "send" F8 to the VM, just get on the console and when the machine starts booting up (before the splash screen and after the BIOS) hold down the F8 key on the keyboard.  That should get you into safe mode.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
patoka
Contributor
Contributor

I've been trying that for over 4 hours, can't get it to see F8. I'm trying this over a logmein remote session, now that the office is open I'm hoping I can get it to work from the Vshpere PC.

ps I found this on another thread.

>>

You can add to your VM's vmx file:

bios.bootDelay = "5000" 

The time is in milliseconds (it is 5 sec). It let you hit F8 "on time". <<

I dont' know where the vmx file lives, don't see it on the Vshpere PC.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Kahonu84
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Aloha -

Are you clicking the screen first to get focus????

Bill

0 Kudos
patoka
Contributor
Contributor

many clicks. left and right, and holding the F8 key.

Finally checked the box to force a bios startup, after I exited from that F8 worked and last known working system took care of the endless loop.

I even added 10 seconds to the boot delay but couldn't get SBS to see F8.

0 Kudos