VMware Cloud Community
marcins
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

seperate vmdk files advice

I am currently working on migration from ESX 3.5 to ESXi 4,1; however, I have run into a problem with some vms that have separate vmdk's files (like drive C,D etc) on different LUNs. I know that in ESX 4.1 I could simply do storage vmotion to take care of this problem and bring all the vmdk's on the same LUN, but I am not sure how to achieve that when doing a migration from 3.5 to 4.1? Would i still be able to copy all vmdks into separate LUNs under new ESXi 4.1 and add a vm to inventory? Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

can we assume you are using vCenter 4.1?  If so, when you "migrate" (change datastore) you can click on the advanced button, if you'd like to split up the vmdk files.  If not all associated files with go to the destination LUN (basic).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

as long as paths are configured correctly nothing hinders you from storing the vmdks in whichever datastore you want

Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

can we assume you are using vCenter 4.1?  If so, when you "migrate" (change datastore) you can click on the advanced button, if you'd like to split up the vmdk files.  If not all associated files with go to the destination LUN (basic).

0 Kudos
marcins
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So once i copy everything from my esx 3.5 datastores onto new datastores that are visible under 4.1 I am guessing that i will have to re add individual hard drive using the new Locations before i will be able to boot?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

yes - exactly