VMware Cloud Community
xbhavesh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

second nic ip config.

i have vmware ESXi 4 installed and i want to setup ip for second nic.

i can not find where to configure the second nics ip.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

you don't configure IP addresses for the physical NIC's. IP addresses are usually configured for the Management Network and within the virtual machines.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

you don't configure IP addresses for the physical NIC's. IP addresses are usually configured for the Management Network and within the virtual machines.

André

0 Kudos
xbhavesh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

this is what i am trying to do.

i have 2 nics in vmware server.

1 is connected to my network and 2 is to a switch(B) and i have snap server with 2 nics 1 connected to my network and 2 to switch(B) so what i want to do is connect to iSCSI in snap server using the 2 nic.

0 Kudos
taylorb
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Just add a second physical NIC to the virtual switch that you have your VMkernel port configured on. No need for additional IP configuration. It will use the single VMkernel virtual port for ISCSI traffic, and then load balance and failover across the two NICs. You can alter the way this is handled in the NIC teaming tab under the "Edit" propery box of the VMkernel port.

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Assuming switch(B) is a dedicated switch for iSCSI traffic. In this case you need to configure a VMKernel port group for the iSCSI traffic on your second vSwitch, on which you will then be able to configure the IP settings for your iSCSI network. You should consider to add some additional NICs to your ESXi host for redundancy.

André

xbhavesh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thank you guys for your help. i am able to configure the ip and i can connect to the SNAP 410 iSCSI.

but i dont see the volume after connecting. i dont know if i should create a new thread for this.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

but i dont see the volume after connecting. i dont know if i should create a new thread for this.

You could, if you want.

After setting up the network, you will have to configure iSCSI on the ESXi host and depending on how snapserver presents the volumes to the hosts, you will have to add the ESX hosts by IP or iqn on the snapserver.

André

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

0 Kudos