VMware Cloud Community
alexander479
Contributor
Contributor

second VM clone is running at 100% cpu...

I have weird issue....

Use stand alone VMWare ESXi -4.1

HW: Dell Power Edge T310; 4GB Ram; CPU Intel Xeon 2.4 GHz 4 cores per socket - 64bit;

Running two MS Server 2K8 64bit VMs,

·         DC and

·         File server.

Here is the issue:

Originally we bought a MS Server 2008 licence and installed it as VM.  Turned it to DC for my local network. Then we decided to get local file server as separate VM. So we purchased the second MS licence. I used the clone of the first VM to begin with: adjusted serial number, activation, removed DC role and added as member file server. Both VMs have exactly the same hardware settings... but !!! ever since i booted the second VM it runs at or close to 100% CPU. It takes much linger to connect to it not to mention that every click takes about 10 seconds to react. At the same time the first VM runs perfectly....no problem,

I'm not sure if the fact that the second VM was clone of the first plays any role in the issue... and it doesn't matter which VM I boot first, the behaviour is still there.

What went wrong?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

I wouldn't have made a clone of a DC - this is surely the essence of the problem.  Try creating a fresh VM and see if you can run it alongside the DC without these issues.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
philvirt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I would have created a template and deployed from the template. Cloning a DC is a bit risky.

If reinstalling is not an option, look to make sure that the networking looks clean. Check all the usual stuff, Different IPs, correct subnets, look at VLANS, etc...

Have you reinstalled tools yet? Also, Serv08 is known to  have some weird slowness if you don't use the correct video driver.

Thanks, phIL
0 Kudos