VMware Cloud Community
andvm
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

scratch partition and syslog

Hi,

I see that the ESXi scratch partition is by default set to /tmp/scratch, where is this stored?

Is this local on the SD card used for the ESXi install or on ramdisk (space allocated in memory for storing these logs)?

Strangely when I enter df -h on an ESXi host, it does not list the local drive/partitions (SD Card).

For syslog, if I setup a remote host to send logs (syslog.gobal.logHost), do I also need to specify a datastore (Syslog.global.logDir) or can I set this to null?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

df -h does not show used/available space of the SD card / root directory of ESXi install

df -h does work as intended and shows the filesystem mounts ESXi is using. You can also use vdf -h to check.

will ramdisk delete old data if full to make space for the new?

No, if full it will prevent certain system functions from happening normally. Ramdisk will be discarded when the host is cycled.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I see that the ESXi scratch partition is by default set to /tmp/scratch, where is this stored?

Is this local on the SD card used for the ESXi install or on ramdisk (space allocated in memory for storing these logs)?

On removable flash-based media this is mapped to a ramdisk.

For syslog, if I setup a remote host to send logs (syslog.gobal.logHost), do I also need to specify a datastore (Syslog.global.logDir) or can I set this to null?

If you specify a global log host you don't also need to specify a local destination unless you really want to.

0 Kudos
andvm
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

how can I check the ramdisk used/available size?

df -h does not show used/available space of the SD card / root directory of ESXi install

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

df -h does work as intended and shows the filesystem mounts ESXi is using. You can also use vdf -h to check.

No, if full it will prevent certain system functions from happening normally. Ramdisk will be discarded when the host is cycled.

0 Kudos
Bruticusmaximus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Is the Syslog always in Ramdisk?  Does it always get wiped out when a host is rebooted?  Or, does that only happen when yo boot from SD cards?

Years ago, we used to boot from a local HD.  I seem to recall the Syslogs not getting wiped out on reboots.  Now that we're on SD cards, they seem to get wiped out.

0 Kudos