VMware Cloud Community
ITManager_HP
Contributor
Contributor

root password on HPE Proliant custom image ESXi 7.0.1

Hi all,

I'm installing EsXi on a gen10 HPE, I'm goin' crazy!!! everything goes well but when I have to reboot the machine I have to enter the root password.

Into the guide I read password is myp@ssw0rd ... bytheway it doesn't works... I've tried even with mypassword... (wrong password).

Password is into ks.cfg boot mode... I don't know how to read it.

does anyone know the right password I've to enter to reboot the machine ?

Thank in advance for any info about this.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

How do you install ESXi on the host? Using HPE's Intelligent Provisioning?
I usually simply boot off the customized CD/ISO and run the installation in interactive mode, which prompts to enter a root password.

André

0 Kudos
Jimmy15
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

try
#passext.linux encrypted_password
to decrypt

regards

PS: Mark kudos or correct answer as appropriate 🙂
0 Kudos
Seirui
Contributor
Contributor

The default password for EXSi 6.x and 7.x is _Passw0rd_

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00112754en_us&page=s_config-os-setting.html

I just used Intelligent Provisioning to install ESXi 7.02 with the HPE custom ISO image, and had to look it up. This worked for me. Thought I'd share.

UpstairsDavid
Contributor
Contributor

Seirui, thank you SO. MUCH.

0 Kudos
ilrizzo
Contributor
Contributor

I found. Is _Passw0rd_

Seems like console only too.

0 Kudos
virtualapj
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Just FYI...   _Passw0rd_    only seems to work on the console (for root)  and changing the root password via console.. still doesn't let you connect host to vsphere as root for some reason??...  invalid password using either default or new..

Only way I have found when using Intelligent Provisioning.. is (during the install) before you click 'Accept Configuration'

go back into 'O/S settings'  and manually edit in a password (and confirmation password) - needs complex and length..

return and 'Accept Configuration'   & when done.. it takes the new password you entered in both console and vsphere!!!

ssh is not enabled by default, so no help there either..

AJ

0 Kudos