VMware Cloud Community
suharik
Contributor
Contributor

restore the Vm at loss snapshot

Hi,

I have a very incomprehensible problem occurred. After a scheduled reboot of the physical server, one of the virtual machines failed. The virtual disk of this machine was replaced by the esxi itself on the disk of another machine. I fixed the vmx file, it found that the failure of the snapshot file. I strongly blame that the tree snapshot was more than three files.

If there is a chance to restore the virtual machine or how to get some data from this virtual disk?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Gary_Williams
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The virtual disk of this machine was replaced by the esxi itself on the disk of another machine

I have never, ever seen this happen.

I strongly blame that the tree snapshot was more than three files.

Ideally, snapshots shouldn't be kept for more than 24 hours. I use powercli to list out all VM's with snapshots on them.

As for the VM, do you have backups? It's going to be the surest way to recover the data.

0 Kudos
suharik
Contributor
Contributor

unfortunately I do not have any backup. so the question for me is very serious.

0 Kudos
Nick_Andreev
Expert
Expert

When you say VM has failed, do you mean it doesn't power on or it blue screens? What is the exact problem?

---
If you found my answers helpful please consider marking them as helpful or correct.
VCIX-DCV, VCIX-NV, VCAP-CMA | vExpert '16, '17, '18
Blog: http://niktips.wordpress.com | Twitter: @nick_andreev_au
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please post a complete list of files in the VM's folder (i.e. the output of ls -lisa from the command line), and provide as many details as possible about the issue, and what you did after discovering it. I also don't exactly understand what is meant with "I fixed the vmx file, it found that the failure of the snapshot file.", please explain.

In addition to this attach the VM's configuration (.vmx) file as well as all the vmware*.log files to a reply post.

André

0 Kudos