VMware Cloud Community
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

replicating vms

my san is going to be undergoing some maintenance and i need to replicate the vms to a dr site. I dont have srm. what are my options?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Virtualinfra
Commander
Commander

Try storage replication from SAN, if there is a connectivity between Primary and DR site.

then unregister the VM in primary and register the VM in DR site, power it UP.

Thanks & Regards Dharshan S VCP 4.0,VTSP 5.0, VCP 5.0
0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

Can I replicate between different storage vendor?

0 Kudos
Virtualinfra
Commander
Commander

This is vendor specfic. There are software that works replication between different vendor. But check with the vendor of the destination for this, because both the storage vendor should be compatable for this.

for example, if you try to replicate between EMC and IBM XIV.

check with IBM XIV if the have any tool for this.Also with EMC.. 

Thanks & Regards Dharshan S VCP 4.0,VTSP 5.0, VCP 5.0
0 Kudos
vMario156
Expert
Expert

Depending on your design you can may presenting both SANs at the same time to your hosts and migrate VMs via storage vMotion?

Regards,

Mario

Blog: http://vKnowledge.net
0 Kudos
jrpjones4
Contributor
Contributor

tdubb123,

If you need a solution that is Hardware (or SAN) agnostic, there are a few options out there.  If you are looking for a replication mechanism that also allows for low RPO/RTOs (seconds/minutes); there is really only one option, Zerto. 

Zerto provides hypervisor-based replication software.  Here are some of the benefits:

-Enterprise-class replication and recovery – storage configuration no longer required for virtual BC/DR
-Multi-tier application protection & recovery – protect & recover applications, not LUN’s..
-Complete BC/DR: replication, testing, recovery, automation, CDP, migration, reporting…
-Hardware Aggnostic....you can replicate from EMC to IBM,NetApp to Dell; even the CLOUD

Hope this helps. 

0 Kudos
KevinH10
Contributor
Contributor

Disclaimer: Actifio Employee

It really depends on the size of your environment, performance and any additional use cases.  Actifio offers a solution that allows for heterogenous storage replication for both virtual and physical environments.  It addition we eliminate the need for traditional backup hardware, software (including agents) and associated windows.  One of the values our customers also talk about is the ability to perform these functions based on application-specific SLAs.  Feel free to send me a message if you'd like more information.

-Kevin