VMware Cloud Community
AdvNetSol
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

replaced RAID controller - being asked to assign new signature or use existing

Hello,

I recently replaced a problematic RAID controller to find that the virtual disks are not mounted automatically by VMWare after a reboot.  I assume this is because when I add the datastores, I am asked to use the existing disk signature or assign a new signature.  Initially, I chose to use the existing.  If I chose to create a new signature, will this resolve my problem of the disks not mounting automatically?  if so, will my existing Guest OSes be in tact or could they have problems?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Resignaturing a datastore should not harm the data on it. However, after resignaturing you may see all VMs in the inventory as inaccessible, and need to remove them from the inventory and re-add them by right clicking their .vmx files in the Datastore Browser. What you can try is to manually persistently mount the datastore from the command line to see whether this solves the issue without resignaturing (see http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1011387).

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Resignaturing a datastore should not harm the data on it. However, after resignaturing you may see all VMs in the inventory as inaccessible, and need to remove them from the inventory and re-add them by right clicking their .vmx files in the Datastore Browser. What you can try is to manually persistently mount the datastore from the command line to see whether this solves the issue without resignaturing (see http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1011387).

André

0 Kudos
AdvNetSol
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for the helpful advice.  I did look at what was needed to keep the existing signature but elected to simply create a new signature and then add the Guest OS back into inventory with the .vmx file.  That ended up being much easier.  For those that may run across this down the road, the article provided commands that can be used from the shell to make the storage device persistent without creating a new signature.

0 Kudos