VMware Cloud Community
jappenroth
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

remove serial and parallel ports

Hello,

I wonder what this "serial and parallel ports can now be removed" in all those blogs about the new vSphere 6 features is all about. I could remove those ports from VMs before, couldn't I? Nobody seems to go into detail, everyone just copies/repeats the same stuff from one another.

Best regards,

Jan

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Prior hardware versions would always have the serial and parallel port hardware present within the virtual motherboard's SuperIO chip, even when there were no virtual serial ports or virtual parallel ports configured for the virtual machine -- the ports would quietly be "present but disconnected", so they would still consume I/O space and IRQs, and still show up as present in your guest OS's device list, I/O port map and IRQ map.

With the latest hardware version, if you remove the virtual serial port and virtual parallel port, they will be gone... the guest OS will not see the device at all, and it will consume no I/O port space and no IRQ.

Hope this helps!

--

Darius

View solution in original post

3 Replies
RichardBush
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I wonder if this refers to the ability to remove serial and parallel while the guest is powered on ? Which isn't possible in 5.5u2

edit: Can test this on my 6 lab later on and confirm.

Rich

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Prior hardware versions would always have the serial and parallel port hardware present within the virtual motherboard's SuperIO chip, even when there were no virtual serial ports or virtual parallel ports configured for the virtual machine -- the ports would quietly be "present but disconnected", so they would still consume I/O space and IRQs, and still show up as present in your guest OS's device list, I/O port map and IRQ map.

With the latest hardware version, if you remove the virtual serial port and virtual parallel port, they will be gone... the guest OS will not see the device at all, and it will consume no I/O port space and no IRQ.

Hope this helps!

--

Darius

jappenroth
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello Darius,

thank you for your explanation!

Best regards,

jan

0 Kudos