VMware Cloud Community
akreitman
Contributor
Contributor

recreate bootable ESXi install iso image

I need to add one of those oem.tgz files to my ESXi install.  I just can't seem to get the incantations for genisoimage correct.  Can anyone just lay out the steps to create be base directory from the image (do i include boot.cat?), and the parms to generate a correct bootable image?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

It is far easier to create and modify a USB installer. If you didn't get it right the first time you can easily change oem.tgz and retry the install.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
akreitman
Contributor
Contributor

Actually, its not.  First, the amount of work in building an iso image is pretty much the same as building a usb key.  Second, when you build a usb key you end up replacing isolinux with syslinux setup operates differently.  Third, there's additional work required to enable setup to find the install files, which is more work then just incanting the correct command line once I know that command line.

Oh, I've tried to create a usb and when I try an install, is always says "can't access cdrom:

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Done it dozens of times sorry you are having trouble. This probably isn't the place to ask questions about non standard installs. I would spend some time reading through the http://vm-help.com site and the forums there.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
akreitman
Contributor
Contributor

If you've done it dozens of times, rather than point to another web site and say it's off your constrained version of correct topiics, why don't you share exactly what you did.

0 Kudos
akreitman
Contributor
Contributor

Here's the problem I'm having, it boots from the usb, it does all the install steps, it asks if I want to wipe out my disk and install, and it then pops up with the attached image.  It installs perfectly directly from the cd rom

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

Out of interest sake, why are you taking this approach to a build? There are numerous working and automated PXE build solutions and several help guides on these?

(I only ask as I build a fair amount of ESXi hosts and would be willing to consider all alternatives - genrally, I use PXE solutions)

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
akreitman
Contributor
Contributor

The reason that PXE won't work is that we are setting up multiple copies at locations that don't have installed servers to boot from.  Does anyone have any idea why the usb install fails at the disk format step?

0 Kudos