VMware Cloud Community
uyozTic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

raspberryPi central UPS hub for shutting down VMs/Esxi?

ESXi: 6.0.0.33801214

vSphere: 6.0.0.3016447

vSphere on Win2008 sever

ESXi on its own machine.

regarding UPS and how to get VM's to shutdown gracefully and then ESXi shutdown gracefully...

small home network with:

i have 3 APC 1500 UPSs connected to a raspberryPi v3, running fedberry and apcupsd.

i have one APC 1500 UPS connected to a Synology NAS, this has the VM's installed on.

during power outage, UPSs kick in, but i don't think the VMs or ESXi are shutting down gracefully. luckily, all boots back up fine. the Synology with direct UPS connection does suspend the Synology disks, thus the VMs are not accessible during that time. then 15min later Synology shuts off.

instead of the UPS on Synology, i would like the raspberryPi to be able to signal the ESXi machine to start gracefully shutting down the VMs on Synology, and then have the ESXi shutdown a few minutes later & then Synology & the Win2008 server shutdown.

is it workable that apcupsd on this raspberryPi can signal the ESXi host to do this? or do i need to physically connect one of these APC UPS to ESXi host machine and configure something on the ESXi host?

i would like to have the raspberryPi be like a central hub for UPSs management versus connecting these UPSs to various machines.

tia

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AishR
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AishR
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Check if this is of help to you ESXi 5.5 Remote Office Shutdown - HA Complications

0 Kudos
uyozTic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

thank you @AishR, i'll read up on that thread, and see if i can get this working.

0 Kudos