VMware Cloud Community
dekkar
Contributor
Contributor

"virtual machine memory usage" Alarm

Hi All, just wondering if there is any way to stop our exchange/SQL servers from being such memory pigs.....

(exch2003 on serve 2003, and SQL 2005 on the same)

No matter how much RAM I allocate them, they just use it all up. I know this is the nature of the beast. But I get worried when the warning icon is showing up on each of these machines, I guess maybe my last option is to disable this alarm?

Thanks,

Nathan

0 Kudos
13 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership

It's kind of the nature of the beast. How much memory did you gave them?

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator | VCP | VCDX

-

Blogging:

Twitter: (*NEW*)

Available Soon: vSphere Quick Start Guide ()

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

How many users access SQL and or Exchange?

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
dekkar
Contributor
Contributor

3Gb each.... to give you an idea of utalization, Each machine serves around 60 users.... (exch and SQL)...

So they arent ultra utalized..... not at all...

0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

3GB for SQL I mean is not enogh.

Have you looked in Taskmanger at the sql server how much RAM the process sqlservr.exe is catching?

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
dekkar
Contributor
Contributor

Hmmmm ok..... The database resident on that machine is around 25GB...... Im not the SQL guy, so I dont know how much it should have on it... But the physical box had 2Gb.... when we did the P2V I decided to keep...

I later bumped it up to 3Gb to see what happens. We havent seen any performance issues in regards to the SQL box. I did it only to get rid of that error.

the process is taking up 1.8Gb..... It just seems Windows is reserving RAM or something like this.On both exch and SQL. I was just thinking maybe there is a setting you can do to tell it to not reserve so much.

I might just change the threshold of that warning to 99% rather than 95%...

0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

What is the underlying OS in the SQL Server?

2003 STD, EE 32 or 64BIt?

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
dekkar
Contributor
Contributor

Just plain 2003 std 32bit... latest R... r2? i think...

0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Well if not already done make a separate disk (partition) for the WIndows pagefile, reboot your server and look if it will be better.

The problem with SQL Server is, that he takes as myny memory as the system have.

You can also try to configure the RAM is the SQL Server settings.

Screen is attached.

We also had a longer time memory problems with SQL until we have moved it to an 64 Bit Enterprise Server.

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
pramodupadhyay5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

we arealso facing this problem earlier and i think it is a bug....

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
dekkar
Contributor
Contributor

ok cool... we are currently testing 2008 server with SQL 2008........ The DB guys have this scared look on their face everytime they look at it.... but hopefully it solves these VM probs.... not really probs I guess...

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

There has been a bug identified: http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2009/09/11/memory-alarms-triggered-with-amd-rvi-and-intel-ept/

But this is normally only the case when either AMD RVI or Intel EPT is utilized in combination with large pages. Check my article for more info.

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator | VCP | VCDX

-

Blogging: http://www.yellow-bricks.com

Twitter: (*NEW*)

Available Soon: vSphere Quick Start Guide ()

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Thanks!

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
pramodupadhyay5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Please install the hot-off-the-press ESX 4.0 patch 02.

One of the fixes in the patch addresses this specific crash and performance issues,

https://www.vmware.com/mysupport/s3portal.portal?_nfpb=true&_windowLabel=SearchPatch&SearchPatch_act...

0 Kudos