VMware Cloud Community
BjornML
Contributor
Contributor

"esxcli nvme adapter list" is empty

Hi!

Trying to set up / configure NVMe over FC in an enviroment, but having issues, and it seems to be something related to vmware or the server itself.

Server: HPE DL360 G10 with the latest 2020.09 HPE SPP, so all firmware should be the latest.

HBA: SN1610Q

VMware: 7.0.1

Now, if i run the following command: "esxcli storage core adapter list" it returns my 2-port HBA, and everything looks fine.

«vmhba2 qlnativefc link-up fc.id-string-blablabla”

“vmhba3 qlnativefc link-up fc.id-string-blalbblabla”

Now if i run "esxcli nvme adapter list" i expected it would return the same HBA, but for NVMe, but it returns nothing, and on the storage system i cannot see any "login", like i can for FC.

So, i suspect there is something wrong happening on the server side, because supposedly the esxcli nvme adapter list should return 2 entries for my 2-port HBA.

Anyone have any idea on what can be the issue here ?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
segfaultcoredum
Contributor
Contributor

QLogic HBA? I had that issue this morning. 

Run this on the host while it is in maintenance mode (because it needs a reboot):

esxcfg-module -s "ql2xnvmesupport=1" qlnativefc

And then reboot.

You will then see two storage adapters for each port, but one is for FC and the other for NVMe-oFC

--john

BjornML
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, that was the issue i had, atleast at first.

Seems this adapter is currently not supported by IBM Storwize for use with NVMe, so i'll have to wait until it's supported i guess.

0 Kudos