VMware Cloud Community
vmwadmin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

"Your host does not support the current guest settings"

My virtualization requirement call for a very high resolution on a Win2000 guest, ESXi host. I upgraded, using the standalone converted, but I can no longer switch to full screen (scaled) mode. I get the following message:

-

Error

-

Error connecting: Your host does not support the current guest settings in fullscreen mode. Try reducing your guest's resolution or color depth and try again.

Failed to switch to full screen mode.

Do you want to try again?

-

Yes No

-

Is there any work around?

Thanks,

Alan

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The vSphere client is a terrible viewer. Very slow. W2k is also a limitation. Have a look at other viewers if RDP doesn't suit. Radmin is one I used several years ago.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I think its pretty self explanatory:

Your host does not support the current guest settings in fullscreen mode.

I'd say there was a problem with YOUR local display, reduce the resolution size. Also why not simply use remote desktop?

0 Kudos
vmwadmin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That doesn't follow to me.

That message describes the problem as being with either the host (not my local display) or the guest (not my local display).

I love the RDP suggestion, but Win2000 doesn't support 32-bit color, so that wouldn't work for me, unfortunately. 😕

0 Kudos
tWiZzLeR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

In this case "host' refers to your local display settings, not the ESX(i) host. Check that your video card and monitor is capable of displaying the higher video settings.

vmwadmin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ahhh... that makes it clear. So maybe what I'm looking for this the "Fit Window" option in the View menu. But that doesn't seem to do anything. Basically, I'm looking to be able to scale the window so I can view the whole screen, or switch to the mode it is now if I need to "zoom" in. But clicking "Fit Window Now" doesn't seem to do anything...

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Do we assume you have VMware tools installed. As mentioned your local display is the problem. You will not get higher resolution, scaled or otherwise than your local display supports.

vmwadmin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yeah... I have the tools installed. First thing I tried was uninstalling them and reinstalling them.

As I recall, in VMware Workstation, I was able to switch back and forth between scaled and actual resolution with ctrl-alt-enter. Even now, if I install Team Viewer on the VM, I can switch between actual resolution and scaled resolution. But using Team Viewer for this creates quite a bit of overhead, so I was hoping to be able to use the vSphere client instead.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The vSphere client is a terrible viewer. Very slow. W2k is also a limitation. Have a look at other viewers if RDP doesn't suit. Radmin is one I used several years ago.

0 Kudos
vmwadmin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Nice! Great lead!

Based on this, it looks like it could kill both the vSphere client, as well as TeamViewer. http://www.radmin.com/products/comparisons/radmin_vs_teamviewer.php

Granted, they are running against an old version of TeamViewer, but this is very promising.

Thanks!

0 Kudos