VMware Cloud Community
admin
Immortal
Immortal

"WARNING SQL Server Does not work in Vmware !!!!" So this guy says -- Comments please.

SQLServer Does Not Work in VMware

This is a weird one, any comments.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
NTurnbull
Expert
Expert

Well the disclaimer does say that this wasn't tested nder ESX. So at the end of the day this wasn't a like for like comparision of MSSQL running on a physical host/OS vs fully virtualised host/OS. Interesting that he said that in some conditions it performed better than a physical host even though its running under Player...

Thanks,

Neil

Thanks, Neil
0 Kudos
TobiasKracht
Expert
Expert

For this tests author has used VmPlayer, while it doesn`t allow to create VMs, so he had to use 3d party software, possible Workstation, while it`s desktop software and SQL - server. In this case he should use at least vServer. Also about perfomance of SQL in ESX you can read this doc from VmWare.

StarWind Software R&D

StarWind Software R&D http://www.starwindsoftware.com
0 Kudos
itunderground
Contributor
Contributor

Well, that article title is misleading. The copy in the article does not say that SQL Server does not work in VMWare. It points out host disk and write-ahead performance issues that mask SQLServer commits in the guest. Of course SQL Server works in VMWare - I've been running one for 2 years - first on VMWare server 1.x and now migrated to VMWare Server 2.x. It's not my company's core business ERP but rather a security monitoring database utilized for VPN heartbeat performance and network alerting. If it were to go down under a scenario like that described in the author's article (which is entirely feasible), my business would not suffer catastrophic loss. IT support might have to work a little more intensively to monitor our networks for a few days while we reinstalled the monitors, but business sales and productivity would not be hurt.

But, our security sandbox has been 100% reliable on SQL Server 2005 Standard and consistently reportsand alerts network and VPN trouble before our customer base is able to realize what's going on.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Personally I think the author has created an unrealistic scenario, and using VMPlayer etc to me blows his allegations away - I'm just interested to see what other community members think.

0 Kudos
Jahei
Contributor
Contributor

I would like to see same "crash" demonstration on MS VirtualPC. I think its not a problem with a vmware player only.

Same problem might occur on physical computer if there is any "cache" with fiber, iscsi, or raid controllers.

0 Kudos
AntonVZhbankov
Immortal
Immortal

SQL Server actually DOES work in VMware virtual machine. And works very well.

Using VMware Player to run server product for production, not even free VMware Server - I think he will be a good nominee for vIdiot award.

---

VMware vExpert '2009

http://blog.vadmin.ru

EMCCAe, HPE ASE, MCITP: SA+VA, VCP 3/4/5, VMware vExpert XO (14 stars)
VMUG Russia Leader
http://t.me/beerpanda
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

vIdiot - I like it

:smileycool:

0 Kudos
runclear
Expert
Expert

lol @ vIdiot .

-

-------------------- What the f* is the cloud?!
0 Kudos