VMware Cloud Community
Kruge
Contributor
Contributor

"Unable to connect to NFS server"

Hi,

I'm trying to add NFS storage to a fresh install of 5.5.  The NFS server and the VM server are both on the same subnet and can happily ping each other.  There is only one Vswitch created, and only one VMKernel.

I can watch network traffic leaving the VM server via tcpdump and see an ARP request going out for the NFS server, and the response coming back.  The VM server then attempts to connect to the portmapper service on the NFS server, but no traffic ever reaches the NFS server.

I have dropped the firewall on the VM server and can perform a connection test (nc -z nfsserver 2049) and get a success message.   I have also tried using a dedicated NIC and subnet for NFS traffic, but get the same results.

For what it is worth, the NFS exports can be successfully mounted by a third, non-ESXi-host, running Linux.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Borja_Mari
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello,

verify this vmware's kb:

VMware KB: Troubleshooting connectivity issues to an NFS datastore on ESX and ESXi hosts

Maybe it would be helpful.

Best regards,

Pablo

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- PLEASE CONSIDER AWARDING any HELPFUL or CORRECT reply. Thanks!! Por favor CONSIDERA PREMIAR cualquier respuesta ÚTIL o CORRECTA . ¡¡Muchas gracias!! VCP3, VCP4, VCP5-DCV (VCP550), vExpert 2010, 2014 BLOG: http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/VirtuallyAnITNoob
0 Kudos
Kruge
Contributor
Contributor

Resolved.  Some part of the switch configuration was interfering.  Started with a fresh config, and NFS is working fine.

0 Kudos