VMware Cloud Community
alestan3
Contributor
Contributor

"The Host Name Could Not Be Resolved" - vSphere 5 Web Client

Hello Community,

I am getting the annoying message stated in the subject line when trying to launch the console for a VM.  I have confirmed the following in my domain:

-confirmed correct domain and DNS A record entries for the VM in question

I am using vCenter Virtual Appliance.  Everything else is working great but I cannot launch a console due to this error.  Any help or direction would be much appreciated!

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
vMario156
Expert
Expert

If you open the console its necessary that the ESX / ESXi host (where the VM is running on) is correct configured on the DNS. The DNS entry for the VM it selfs doesn´t matter for opening the console.

Regards,

Mario

Blog: http://vKnowledge.net
0 Kudos
jimraina
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi alestan3,

Could you please change the hostname to "localhost", and let us know the output or error message.

"You are   stronger than you think"
0 Kudos
arminmacx
Contributor
Contributor

Hi everyone,

I have the same problems but in different way. I can access my console from internal network using web client and vSphere Client and the DNS is configured correctly. But i have a static IP that i use it for connecting to my vCenter and Web Client from outside (we don't have domain for them yet or any DNS for outside connection), but when i try to open VM console it gives me the exact error.

My vCenter is on windows 2008 R2 and it is VM and all of my servers joined to my domian.

Is there any way to fix it ?

Best Regards

--Armin--

VCA-DCV / VCA-Cloud / VCA-WM / MCSE / MCP / MCTs https://ir.linkedin.com/in/armin-lavaee-73162652
0 Kudos
sulutruk
Contributor
Contributor

I've exactly the same problem.

I can access my the VM throuch web client in the VCenter machine but gives error message ("The Host Name Could Not Be Resolved") when I connect from internet.

0 Kudos
sulutruk
Contributor
Contributor

@jimraina :  Which hostname should be changed? VM?

0 Kudos
stasmus
Contributor
Contributor

I have same problem. Iam fix it by change vcenter host name from "vcenter" to "vcenter.company.local" and add zone "company.local" to DNS server of vcenter network configuration.

Prof it Smiley Happy

if you use windows OS as web-client you can add vcenter ip to c:/windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts like this "192.168.1.1 vcenter.company.local"

0 Kudos
sulutruk
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your useful guideline that focus me on the vcenter host.

I did your instructions. But did not work for me; then what did for make it working:

As I want to use Web Client from internet, I gave an internet IP for a valid subdomain.

1. VCenter Computer name: vcenter

2. VCenter Computer suffix name: ourworkingcompanydomain.com

3. Assign our internet IP (say 87.88.89.90) to VCenter computer from TCP/IP settings. (it  already had this in fact)

4. Go to DNS configuration of ourworkingcompanydomain.com and add A record:

vcenter IN A 87.88.89.90.

This allows vcenter.ourworkingcompanydomain.com go to 87.88.89.90.

5. From Web client admin area (http://vcenter.ourworkingcompanydomain.com:9443/admin-app/ ) Register VCenter server with host name: vcenter.ourworkingcompanydomain.com. Also set Web client address to vcenter.ourworkingcompanydomain.com.

That's all! This works for connecting VMs with remote console from internet.

CHUNTAO56
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello alestan3

Hope doing great

Are you able to reach install certification screen or not ?

If not then there might be problem with network or some virus blocking that port .

"You must Be the change you wish to see in the world."
0 Kudos
alestan3
Contributor
Contributor

@sulutruk - I will try your suggestion.

@Chunta056 - I received the cert install prompt once and but have not since.  I verified that it is getting throught the firewall just fine.  Any way to force the ssl cert prompt again?

0 Kudos
wemnael
Contributor
Contributor

alestan3 how did you resolve this? I'm having same issue

0 Kudos