VMware Cloud Community
shaungor
Contributor
Contributor

"PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM Operating system not found" when trying to install Server 2008 R2 from ISO

Hi,

First time post!

I am having trouble installing server 2008 r2 from an ISO that I downloaded from Technet.

I have done checksum and the iso is okay.

I have created a virtual machine using server 2008 r2 type. 

I start the machine and then connect the iso using "connect to ISO image on local disk..." option in the cd drive icon.

It tries for a little and errors with:

PXE-E53: No boot filename received

PXE-M0f: Exiting Intel PXE ROM.

Operating system not found.

Also looked at the VM > properties > Hardware > CD/DVD drive 1 and checked Device type selected was Client Device

I checked the virtual machine in options > Boot options and made sure there was a delay for the boot iso to be recognised and then

I thought it might be trying pixie boot so I opened the BIOS on the virtual machine and moved Network boot to the bottom

I have faith in the ISO because I accidentally tried installing onto an Ubuntu VM I had created and it got to the windows loading screen for the DVD.

Any thoughts why I can't install using a Windows 2008 r2 iso onto esxi 5.0?

Thanks,

Shaun

0 Kudos
6 Replies
shaungor
Contributor
Contributor

Found issue was fixed by creating a vm going into bios and changing first boot to cd. 

Shaun

0 Kudos
westcoaster
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had the same problem - you just have to enter the VM console and press ENTER to continue the boot device search. I think it's a bug in the PXE ROM.

HayamaMarcelo
Contributor
Contributor

Fellows,

This is how I got rid of this message.

Thru VSphere Client I´ve uploaded my ISO to the DATASTORE.

Again, thru VSphere Client, I went to edit the VM Settings. I´ve pointed the CD/DVD to DATASTORE ISO FILE, and configured this parameter to point to the ISO that I uploaded to the DATASTORE. Make sure to check the CONNECT AT POWER ON box.

If needed, establish the VM SETUP to startup from CD/DVD. Also, in VM SETTINGS, OPTIONS TAB, BOOT OPTIONS, set POWER ON BOOT DELAY to 5,000 (five seconds). Five seconds is a enough delay to make you press the BOOT OPTIONS. Make sure the windows you´re using to visualize the CONSOLE TAB is big enough to see the bottom line where the message appears.

Good luck, pals!!

Best regards!

Marcelo Hayama

http://tiny.cc/HayCard

0 Kudos
AriaGuy
Contributor
Contributor

For what it's worth...

I found this problem was casused by a non-bootable MSDN iso file.

e.g.; I had this problem when I set my virtual machine CD/DVD to point to ISO:  mu_windows_server_2008_r2_sp1_language_pack_x64_dvd_619614.iso

But when I pointed to a different iso (en_windows_server_2008_r2_x64_dvd_x15-50365.iso) then Windows setup loaded.

so.. yeah.

0 Kudos
Spiderist
Contributor
Contributor

if all methods mentioned above don't work and everything seems ok, just migrate the vm by vmotion to change only host, then power-on the vm. Smiley Happy

viddie
Contributor
Contributor

click the "connected" and "connect at power on" in the right top corner in order to make the iso to mount properly.

After you click "connect at power on", reboot the VM and it should boot from the iso.

0 Kudos