VMware Cloud Community
goAIC
Contributor
Contributor

"Non-system disk or disk error" after ESXi 5.1 installation

Hello

I tried to install ESXi 5.1 on my 16GB SD card. I installed it from an USB Drive and everything went just well until it said that I had to reboot my computer. It said that the installation was completed successfully but when I reboot my PC it says "Non-System disk or disk error".

I tried installing it on a Hard Drive as well, no difference.

Does anyone know this problem or a way to solve it?

Greetings,

David

0 Kudos
19 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community - have you modified the computers BIOS so that it will boot from the SD card -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
goAIC
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I did that. But since I am not able to start it from the HDD as well, I don't think the problem is in the boot options.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

What host hardware do you use? Does the host support booting from GUID partition tables (GPT)?

André

0 Kudos
goAIC
Contributor
Contributor

I use a laptop as host. (It's only for a school project)

The specs are:

HP Compaq 6730b

Intel Core 2 Duo T9400 @ 2.53GHz

4096 MB RAM

150 GB HDD

I don't know if it supports booting from GPT, how can I look that up?

0 Kudos
NagangoudaPatil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

HP Compaq 6730b model not supports boot with USB.

0 Kudos
goAIC
Contributor
Contributor

But if I install it on the hard drive the exact same error message shows up.. ?

Or do you mean I have to install it from a CD?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

When I read your first post I assumed you meant an USB CD-ROM drive!? If not already done, run the installation from the CD please to see whether this works.

André

0 Kudos
goAIC
Contributor
Contributor

No, I booted from an USB flash drive and tried to install it on my SD card. I also tried installing it on the HDD, do difference.

I will try installing from a CD if I can find one, gonna tell you if it worked afterwards.

0 Kudos
goAIC
Contributor
Contributor

Installing from a CD has the exact same effect.

Is there anything else I could try?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

What you may try is to press Shift-O at the installation start screen and then append formatwithmbr to the boot options that show up.

André

0 Kudos
goAIC
Contributor
Contributor

Whe trying to install with "formatwithmbr" I get this warning:

DHCP lookup failed. You may be unable to access this system until you customize its network configuration.

The message shows up when the screen is half-yellow/half-gray.

Do I have to connect the notebook to my network before installing ESXi?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

You should be able to install ESXi anyway. However, without network connection you'll certainly don't get a DHCP lease.

André

0 Kudos
goAIC
Contributor
Contributor

What I wonder about is that I now have the option to Shut Down/Restart the host.

Could this mean that the installation from before was correct and it just couldnt start?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

That's possible. What's the current state? Were you able to install and boot the ESXi host with MBR?

André

0 Kudos
goAIC
Contributor
Contributor

I tried to install with formatwithmbr option and after some time the istallation stopped showing this screen:

http://i.epvpimg.com/u4hJe.jpg

However, in the installation processes before that it always showed that the installation process was successful but after the reboot nothing happened (except non-system disk or disk error screen).

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

That's interesting, because this screen only appears once ESXi booted properly!? Please double check that there's nothing in the host's settings, which tries to boot from any other location. Alternatively boot the system from a gParted Live CD and check whether you now have an MBR or GPT partition table and whether the boot partition is marked as active.

André

goAIC
Contributor
Contributor

I tried booting from every available device in the boot list again now. Disk error message every time.

But when I start with the ESXi CD inserted and choose the Boot from local disk option, I get to the same screen as I posted above, which only appears once ESXi booted properly.

Does this mean something is wrong with my boot options?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

That's why I mentioned gParted to see what's wrong. Maybe it's just an issue with making the boot partition active!?

André

0 Kudos
goAIC
Contributor
Contributor

For some reason my Notebook doesn't let me boot from the gParted live CD either. I tried the CD on another PC, it works fine there.

0 Kudos